Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with removing glue marks from clear part.

kiwaczek
11-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi.
Is there a way to remove Tamiya glue from a clear part?

Thanks

AAlmeida
11-17-2009, 06:03 AM
kiwaczek here is the steps to follow:
1° You will have to remove the existent stain with sandpaper 600 wet in the water and soap. 2° Now will have to use a sandpaper 2000 to remove the risks of the sandpaper 600, also use water and soap. In the sandpaper 2000 the shine already begins to return. 3° Now will have to polish.
Good luck!

kiwaczek
11-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Didymus
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Once you remove any scratches and the area is smooth but a little "frosted," try dipping the entire part in Future. It gives a great sparkle and can save a lot of polishing.

(Polishing can actually be hazardous to plastic parts. Too much flexing can weaken and fracture styrene.)

After dipping, just wick up any excess Future. Small accumulations are okay; it dries very thin. Be careful not to touch the part until it's fully dry.

If it's still foggy after it's dry, you can easily remove the Future with ordinary ammonia and continue polishing.

AAlmeida
11-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Polishing can actually be hazardous to plastic parts. Too much flexing can weaken and fracture styrene.

very well reminded, if you will polish it, you must to be careful. dipping the entire part in Future is the better choice.

stilowboost
11-20-2009, 04:36 AM
what is "future" and is there an alternative

Didymus
11-20-2009, 01:37 PM
what is "future" and is there an alternative

Future is a glossy, water-based acrylic floor coating made by Johnson Wax. It's used mainly on linoleum floors. It's available in many supermarkets in the U.S., but I don't know whether you can get it elsewhere.

Sorry, but I don't know of any alternative. The closest I can think of is Tamiya X-22 Clear Acrylic. I haven't compared the two, but the Tamiya is thicker. And a lot more expensive.

I was very skeptical about Future until somebody (on this forum, I think) told me how to use it properly. Since then, I've been a believer. Some people use it as a clear coat on bodies, but I use it mainly for windows and gauges. It produces a smoother and glossier finish than anything I've ever used, except perhaps 2K automotive urethane.

The main "trick" is to apply it liberally and leave it undisturbed until it's good and dry. I've never tried to polish it, but there's no need to.

Ddms

kiwaczek
11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks to all for the replies.:smooch:

Add your comment to this topic!