Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1980 Camaro

Lovetofly
11-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I have recently bought a 1980 Berlinetta Camaro, and it has Edelbrock intake, carb, tall valve cover, bored .30 over, hooker headers, dynamo mufflers. The 305 is originally had was replaced with a 350, and TH350 tranny.

Right off the bat there was some things i had to fix in order to get it to drive better. One of the plug wires got melted on the header, so it had to be replaced to get it running on all 8 cylinders. Which is really hard to do because the header comes down right in front of the plug itself. I have a temporary fix on it, and it is holding out soar.
As soon as i got it running on all 8 cyl it started to bog out when ever i punched it. I later figured out that it was the secondary's
in my carb were sticking, and not opening properly. I got the carb working good now, so the car is performing great.

I know the transition needs a rebuild, it slips really bad when gunning it, and putting it into reverse. The engine how ever was just rebuilt like 15k ago. I have just figure out, that i have a lot of oil leaks, most of the seals leak, so that all has to be replaced. In the past few days, i have noticed a leak by the valve covers thats getting progressively worse.

The body over all is good, it had minor rust spots that can all be fixed. Has new paint job, but has had some minor work done to it since then. Everything had been painted though, almost inside and out. Interior is lacking. It needs quite a bit of work, dash needs to be replaced, gauges dont work, material is sagging.

Over all, car does not need a ton of work, i have done nothing to this car since i got it, other than get it running better. The guy who owned it before me was similar age (im 18) but who was not responsible enough for a car such as this, he drove it hard. To hard. Tires are going bald, tranny is very weak, very little breaks left. He did not change any of the fluids, tranny fluid was black... He owned it for 4 months, and didnt do anything to it either, but the guy he bought it off of did all the work, and had the car looking and driving mint.

What do you think? does it sound like im doin alright, or am i in over my head?

Here are a few pictures of it, its a bit dirty, but none the less:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/yaff2/DSC09949.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/yaff2/DSC09870.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/yaff2/DSC09869.jpg

crazy81camarokid
02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
no way your not in over your head alot of people would kill for that car and you will get alot of looks when your driveing it because you dont see alot of the late 2nd gens around my 81 needs alot of work ive had it for a year now and it still no where near close to being on the road but cant beat the price $300 (im 14 so i guess it doesnt really matter) ill send you some pics

driftinggrifter2
02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Pretty sweet car.

Speedy_1234
02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
some people spend more than 20g's on cars like that. nan your doing ok as long your with a camaro you have nothing to worry about....

Add your comment to this topic!