97 pontiac grand am se 2.4l thermostat problems

koniak333
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I have a 2.4l pontiac ga se i followed the hose to the egine block took it off and found a partial gasket and no thermostat, so i bought another gasket and thermostat but it dosent fit rite in the hole. there is no place for it to set in. maybe it is located in another place. or explain how to do it would be great full. thank you for any help plz

GTP Dad
11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Welcome to AF!!

The thermostat is located in the back of the engine down next to the firewall. It is hard to get to unless you have a lift. Unless you have good access to a lift I suggest you take it to a shop to have the thermostat changed.

koniak333
11-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Welcome to AF!!

The thermostat is located in the back of the engine down next to the firewall. It is hard to get to unless you have a lift. Unless you have good access to a lift I suggest you take it to a shop to have the thermostat changed.

there was a leak on the other hose on the upper part of the radiator could that have been the reason it overheated? after about 5 mins of running u could see the evaportion right at the housing shooting up.

GTP Dad
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Yes, the leak could be allowing air into the system when it cools down and the air will cause it to overheat. Replace the hose and refill the system with coolant. Then make sure you bleed the air out of the system. This should eliminate the overheating issue.

koniak333
11-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes, the leak could be allowing air into the system when it cools down and the air will cause it to overheat. Replace the hose and refill the system with coolant. Then make sure you bleed the air out of the system. This should eliminate the overheating issue.

thanks i will try that, i am hoping it is a easy fix bought it off a friend cheap because he bought a new car.thank you

Add your comment to this topic!