Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Lumina Brake Stop Lights don't work

veerg
11-16-2009, 08:48 AM
My two stop lights at the back don't come on when I am braking. I changed the lamps also. The one in the back window works fine. It has to do something with the turn signal switch. If I put my foot on the brake pedal the lights are not on. If I keep depressing the brake pedal and move the turn signal slightly the lights come on. Then the lights work briefly and as soon as I start using the turn signal the lights don't work again. Some bad connection there.

So my question is that how do I get inside the steering column to may be change the switch.?

maxwedge
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
The how to is at autozone.com, repair guides, register and go to your car look for steering or chassis electrical to find the how to.

veerg
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM
If any one can help, it will be much appreciated.

maxwedge
11-17-2009, 11:10 AM
What is the problem, the pics and how to are at AZ??!!

veerg
11-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks maxwedge (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=19971). I have registered at AZ and read the procedure there. Not sure I want to do this repair as it is the air bag area. Since my window brake light works. I am going to put a jumper wire to the back lights.....thanks again.

MarkNYC
11-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Thats a known issue with Lumina model. You need to replace the multifunction switch in the steering column. The symptoms are classic...Good luck

Richard49
11-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I have a 97 Lumina with da same problem. In my opinion this is a manufacturers defect or engineering stupidity. I love GM's but y would they have separate circuits 4 da high mount brake light and brake tail lamps? What's more is y would the brake tail lamps circuit b intermingled with the turn signals circuit? This is a very serious safety issue. There should have been a service bulletin or factory recall on this item. If your not a do it yourselfer this is a costly item 2 repair.

I hope that everyone is aware that there's a factory recall on the rack and pinion steering system? The bearings may need 2 b replaced. Also, delphi is recalling fuel pressure regulators installed on lumina's. I'm waiting on my local GM dealership 2 setup an appt 2 remedy my steering system. I left a telephonic message with the delphi consumer hotline.

veerg
11-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Richard49, please let me know anything you find out about the recall on the rack and pinion steering system. If it is true, then may be I will pay a little extra for the signal switch while they are doing the other repair.
In the mean time, I plan on running some wires from the back window lamps to the wiring for the tail lamps.

Richard49
11-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I will keep u posted on da rack & pinion recall. I contacted da local dealer here and my inquiry was 4wrd 2 da service manager. As with da recall nvolving da fuel pressure regulator I left a telephonic message wit da delphi consumer hotline. Please let me know wut happens with ur quick fix. im thinking of venturing n dat area 2.

I really don't wanna pull da steering wheel. Since da 3rd light is my only braking signal i made sure dat both light bulbs r working. one light bulb was blown so i went 2 wmart and purchased a set of 2. This is my first lumina so i attempted 2 change da bulbs from inside da trunk, nottttttttttt:headshake da bulbs r very fragile. i broke both bulbs. So it waz easier 4 me 2 lift da panel up n back window and change them dat way. Wuts more is dat i got stuck n da trunk. ive gained weight and getting old, i guess. AnyWho, kick rocks:banghead:

Bearwulf
11-23-2009, 01:53 AM
If you jump from the rear window lamps to the lower brake lamps your directionals will not function properly as they will be shorting across to one another.

veerg
11-23-2009, 06:13 AM
I have not started to work on it yet. The car is driven for short distances only. There are three wires running to the lamp assy. I will try to see if there is a separate wire for the brakes. If not, I will buy two sockets and lamps and drill big enough holes in the plastic unit from inside the trunk to fit the sockets. Then run wires to the window lights. This is a 1995, 3.1 L engine. I also had a 1995, 3.4 engine Lumina. That had the exact same problem and this is what I did to that. It worked fine for two years until I traded it in for a new Sentra.

Blue Bowtie
11-26-2009, 10:09 AM
You could try to search the board archives. There are plenty of threads here addressing that very issue. Changing the multifunction switch is not difficult, just time consuming. The instructions are readily available, and the part is usually about $50.

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/W-BodyTurnSignalSwitchExposed.jpg

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/W-BodyTurnSignalSwitchRemoval.jpg

veerg
11-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your info Blue Bowtie.
Did a search and discovered it was covered earlier extensively. Any way this is what I did yesterday. The window light has two lamps with two separate wires to them each. From both of them I ran two wires to each of the back light assembly units. I bought two new brake bulbs. Figured out which one of the two filaments in each bulb is brighter. Soldered the window wires to that filament. Unplugged the existing connector. In that existing hole, used the edge of a small file to cut a slit about an 1/8th of an inch wide, 1/2 inch long. Dropped one lamp in the lens assy and aligned the wire in the slit. Plugged the connector back. Pulled the wire in the slit gently so the new lamp is not dangling half way in the assy. Did the same thing on the other side. Everything works fine now. Have an inspection due before the end on Nov. This $5.00 fix will do for the time being.
By the way, initially I ran one wire from the hot wire in the window lamp to what I thought was the brake hot wire at the back. Then my back window was flashing with the turn signal. So had to do what I wrote above.

Add your comment to this topic!