Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car dies and starts right back up

davepk74
11-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I was driving from southern illinioi sto chicago down i-55 and on occasion my 1999 nissan maxima would just die as i am driving, it would start right back up again and then it would die after about 20 minutes , there are no warning lights on or anything. I tried to run it on the scanner but it didnt tell me anything, and i even monitored the 02sensors and all that other stuff.

If anyone can help or give me a suggestion it would be great.

Nahkapohjola
11-16-2009, 01:29 AM
I was driving from southern illinioi sto chicago down i-55 and on occasion my 1999 nissan maxima would just die as i am driving, it would start right back up again and then it would die after about 20 minutes , there are no warning lights on or anything. I tried to run it on the scanner but it didnt tell me anything, and i even monitored the 02sensors and all that other stuff.

If anyone can help or give me a suggestion it would be great.

No single sensor has the 'right' to shut down the engine, but will cause SAFE MODE =2k2 rpm ceiling. Shutdown needs at least two simultaneous sensorfailures, normal IGN ON -warning lights will come ON...
However, MAF can hang the system (=nostart). Disconnecting will bypass it, cause safe mode.

No warning lights sounds like total loss of power; check all wiring/fuses/fusible links coming from batt to ign switch (replace it).

rather_b_boatin
11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Possible intermittent failure of the fuel pump, however more often than not a fuel pump is like a light bulb, works or is broken. Put fuel pres. guage on fuel rail, run into spot where you can see while driving. Keep an eye on Volt guage when "die" occurs, may point to electrical prob. like Nahk describes? Do headlights die too?

Add your comment to this topic!