Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door lock question

Black_Blade
11-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I have searched the forums for this issue and have not seen this particular issue.

All my door locks work fine, all as they should, with the exception of the sliding door on the drivers side. The only way to unlock this door is to stand with the driver door open and with your left hand push the unlock switch while simultaneously pulling open the handle of the sliding door. If you don't sync it just right, you have to then hit the driver switch to lock all the doors again and then the unlock switch again and try to time it just right (when all the locks disengage) for this sliding door's locks wants to stay in the locked position all the time.

serge_saati
11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
If you just open the lock lever to the top while you pull the slide door handle, does it open?
Does it open from outside?

tempfixit
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
You might want to try some Control/Contact cleaner & Lubricant from Radio Shack on the lock before disassembling the panel. I had a window switch on a Buick that would engage and roll down the window when the ignition switch was turned on, I sprayed it liberally and worked the switch back and forth several times and have not had a problem since. It was 10 bucks for the product.

Good Luck

Black_Blade
11-14-2009, 11:57 AM
The door cannot be opened from inside or out unless it is done like I said...timing your pulling of the handle with the pushing the unlock door button.

It seems like the lock of that door has some kind of electrical glitch or short or something that automatically engages the lock on that door...but this can be overrode with the pushing of the unlock button.

Cleaning of the contacts on the door does nothing to help the situation (the contacts in the door jam)

serge_saati
11-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes, but if you pull the black door latch:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/power-lock-door.jpg

to the up, the door should unlock.

If not, then it's a mechanical issue inside the door.

Black_Blade
11-14-2009, 03:36 PM
If you just open the lock lever to the top while you pull the slide door handle, does it open?
Does it open from outside?

:banghead:I feel like a dumba** for not looking, but the black lock lever on that sliding door is missing!! So I unscrewed the one from the passenger side slider and tried to screw it in to the driver side one, but there does not seem to be any rod down there...so it must have fell off to the side of the hole or something :frown:

So is it lots of fun to get inside one of them sliding doors to see whats going on?

What sux about this too, is the fact that I could prolly get another lever at the wreckers, but they have a minimum $20 charge for anything...which is nutty for a door lever.

serge_saati
11-14-2009, 04:39 PM
So is it lots of fun to get inside one of them sliding doors to see whats going on?

No it's not. Cause you need to remove the door panel (pull all the clips first), then remove a lot of bolts to remove the metal case of the door, to finally have access to the inside of the door.

It took about 5-7 minutes to remove the panel. But take a least 30 minutes of hard work to remove all the bolts then find out how to remove the metal case.

It worth to remove the panel to see if the rod is well aligned, sometime is an alignment issue.

About the Junk Yard, you can also buy an alternator or a belt. In case of your fails in the middle of the road, you can replace it directly on the road to avoid a towing. It's what I do.

Black_Blade
11-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Come to think of it, I could see about getting another one of them rigs to hold up the spare tire since I had to cut mine off to have use of the spare. If I can find one that is not too corroded, then keep it lubed it would be great.

Keeping the spare in the back in a pain.

Add your comment to this topic!