Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fujimi Enthusiast Daytona question

The Yes Man
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I have a question for anyone who has built this kit.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv42/theyesman/5f620f87.jpg

I want to glue on and fill the seam for part E7 before i prepare the body for painting. I have tested it and even though the instructions say to add it at almost final assembly i think i can fit everything in if i add it beforehand. I just want to double check with anyone who has built the kit if they did the same thing and if did turn out ok? I dont want to learn that it wont fit the hard way :lol:

Thanks in advance :)

BVC500
11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Why do you want to glue it on? Its painted black on the real cars. Some owners may have painted it body color, but its supposed to be black. The separate Fujimi part fits flush and aids in painting. See these cars:

http://ferraris-online.com/pages/imgview.php?reqcardir=FE-365GTS4-14471&imgnum=P008

http://ferraris-online.com/pages/imgview.php?reqcardir=FE-365GTB4-15117&imgnum=P002

CrateCruncher
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Well, I agree with BVC's comments on colors but whether you decide to paint the lower fascia black or body color is kinda irrelavant because adding the part after paint will leave a very unscale seam in a conspicuous area.

I always test to see if these parts can be permanently added prior to body paint by securing them with tape. Then I determine if the body can be added and removed from the chassis assembly without the part moving. If the part interferes preventing the body's removal I try to modify the attachment so I can get it on and off with the body fully assembled. These lower front and rear facia panels are usually molded separate to reduce the need for tool inserts and other complications. Good kit design usually allows them to be added prior to body paint but I always check lest I find myself painted into the proverbial corner.

One additional thing: the chassis and body become stiffer as other components are added to it so don't think bending them appreciably to get them apart is sufficient.

BVC500
11-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I've built the Daytona before and the parts fits flush to the body. It attaches from the inside. There isn't an unsightly or unscale seam. And even if there is a miniscule seam by virture of joining two separate parts, its barely noticeable because the part is painted black.

The Yes Man
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info guys, it's most helpful. If it is to be painted black (I must have seen a pic where they had matched it to the body) then I will not fill the seam and sand it and will follow the instructions.

BVC Ive never really attempted and body mods on cars I have built. Did you build yours as a plexiglass model? If so did you encounter any problems cutting part of the front end away?

BVC500
11-13-2009, 11:43 AM
No, I didn't build a plexiglass front, but I'd be careful removing the required parts and then painting and handling because there will be very little support for front end after cutting out the parts.

I'd show you a pic, but it got destroyed a long time ago. I have a replacement in the works.

The Yes Man
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I may reconsider doing it then, iwas worried about the very thin part you have to leave in place when looking at it last night. Ill probably play it safe and leave it as it is :)

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!