Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Villager Passenger Tranny Seal Leak

Villager Idiot
11-13-2009, 03:09 AM
HI,

Ive looked through a lot of the threads here, but cant really find a clear answer. I have a leak in the passenger side tranny/driveshaft seal on my 95 villager. How hard is it to get everything out and back in again to replace that seal?? I will be doing it in my driveway. I did my own timing belt without too much drama. How long can I get away with topping up the fluid for?

Thanks guys.

tempfixit
11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
HI,

Ive looked through a lot of the threads here, but cant really find a clear answer. I have a leak in the passenger side tranny/driveshaft seal on my 95 villager. How hard is it to get everything out and back in again to replace that seal?? I will be doing it in my driveway. I did my own timing belt without too much drama. How long can I get away with topping up the fluid for?

Thanks guys.

How badly the seal leaks will determine how long you can keep topping off the fluid.

I have not personally removed the halfshaft on the passenger side but have done drivers side halfshaft replacement.

First remove the hub cap, then cutter pin and retaining star on halfshaft nut, then break loose the halfshaft nut.

Second jack up passenger side and support with jackstand.

Remove wheel, then take off the 3 bolts holding the lower ball joint from the lower control arm. Remove the halfshaft nut and turn the spindle away from the body so the spindle will slide off the halfshaft.

Mark the relationshipbetween the axle bearing retainer and bracket and remove the front axle bearing retainer bolts.

This is what the Haynes book says about removing and installing seal:
Using a screwdriver, prybar or seal removal tool, carefully pru the oil seal out of the transaxle bore.
To install use a seal driver, a large section of pipe or a large deep socket (slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the seal) as a drift, install the new oil seal. Drive it into the bore squarely and make sure it's completely seated. Coat the seal lip with transaxle lubricant.
Install halfshaft being careful not to damage the lip of the seal.
Once shaft is installed give it a jerk to see if the c-ring on the halfshaft end is also seated, if it does come bak out by hand you may need to get a new c-ring for the halshaft.

Reassemble in reverse order.

IF you don't have a repair manual I advice getting one, they are helpful.
Also at the top of the page there is a link for a factory service manual for the Quest (Village same vehicle).

If I have missed anything or staed wrongly please feel free to correct as it has been some time since I replaced the drivers side shaft.

Axle bearing retainer bolts torgue spec 8 to 14 FT/Lbs
Axle nut torque spec 174 to 231 FT/LBS

Hope this helps

Villager Idiot
11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
How badly the seal leaks will determine how long you can keep topping off the fluid.

I have not personally removed the halfshaft on the passenger side but have done drivers side halfshaft replacement.

First remove the hub cap, then cutter pin and retaining star on halfshaft nut, then break loose the halfshaft nut.

Second jack up passenger side and support with jackstand.

Remove wheel, then take off the 3 bolts holding the lower ball joint from the lower control arm. Remove the halfshaft nut and turn the spindle away from the body so the spindle will slide off the halfshaft.

Mark the relationshipbetween the axle bearing retainer and bracket and remove the front axle bearing retainer bolts.

This is what the Haynes book says about removing and installing seal:
Using a screwdriver, prybar or seal removal tool, carefully pru the oil seal out of the transaxle bore.
To install use a seal driver, a large section of pipe or a large deep socket (slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the seal) as a drift, install the new oil seal. Drive it into the bore squarely and make sure it's completely seated. Coat the seal lip with transaxle lubricant.
Install halfshaft being careful not to damage the lip of the seal.
Once shaft is installed give it a jerk to see if the c-ring on the halfshaft end is also seated, if it does come bak out by hand you may need to get a new c-ring for the halshaft.

Reassemble in reverse order.

IF you don't have a repair manual I advice getting one, they are helpful.
Also at the top of the page there is a link for a factory service manual for the Quest (Village same vehicle).

If I have missed anything or staed wrongly please feel free to correct as it has been some time since I replaced the drivers side shaft.

Axle bearing retainer bolts torgue spec 8 to 14 FT/Lbs
Axle nut torque spec 174 to 231 FT/LBS

Hope this helps

Thanks Tempfixit!!

Add your comment to this topic!