Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

snow tires

csully4'
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I am looking for snow tires for my 3500 van. I live in upstate Ny. Studded verses non studded? Thanks.

john j toomey
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I bought some Mastercraft courser msr. They are a heavy lug tire and seem good in Massachusetts winters. I bought extra rims so I run these on all fours in the winter. Jack :grinno:

'97ventureowner
11-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I live in "Lake Effect Country" a little north of Syracuse where we can get close to 200" a season. I've run Winterforce tires in the winter for about 8 years now with great results.They tend to be less expensive than other brands and still do a great job. I do not have them studded although these tires can be. If you go to www.tirerack.com and enter your vehicle info, you can see the various brands available for your vehicle and get other info on them along with reviews. That is where i have purchased mine over the years. As the member above stated it is a good idea to get an extra set of rims for the tires as that will save wear and tear on the tire's bead by constantly R&R the tires. It.s a rather small upfront cost that will save you money over time in fees associated with R&R, balancing, etc.

MT-2500
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I am looking for snow tires for my 3500 van. I live in upstate Ny. Studded verses non studded? Thanks.

Studded tire do better on ice.
But dry high ways are hard on them.
Always check your state laws and regulations on studed tires.

john j toomey
11-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a 2500 Express van and I made up a 2x4 frame. Cut two 2x4s the width of the inside of the van. I put one on the front of the rear wheel wells and one on the back. Then cut two 2x4s the lenth of the wheel well and slid them against the wheel wells. Then get some 3" sheetrock screws and screw the front and back 2x4s into them. I then bought some tube sand and fill the opening up with them. Then I cut a piece of 1/4" luan plywood to the outside size of the frame and screw it down to it ( 1" or 1-1/4" screws) My van is a Cabinet makers cargo van so I can still load it up w/ plywood in the winter months. This way you have the extra weight which helps and sand if you get stuck? Just remember to keep a philips head screw driver handy to get at the sand if needed. Or a screw gun? I have mine just sitting there but you might consider making some L BRACKETS and screw the frame to the floor or the wall if there is a rib there or to the paneling if you have it? Everything helps in these vans. Not so great in the winter. I guess the new ones they changed the gearing in them. so they are not so responsive to the gas pedal? J.T.

Add your comment to this topic!