Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 eclipse gs hessitates and back fires

bml.61089
11-07-2009, 06:33 PM
to start off with its a 1997 eclipse gs 5 spd
i have had a problem that started about 5 weeks ago and has gradually got worse i have a scanner and all that came up was p0442 evap emmision small leak deteced so i changed all the emmisions hoses nothing it has like a hesitation per say idles about 1100 and back fires when you get on it so i really need so advice help all is appreaciated i changed the feul filter tps iac and no codes are being sent currently
about a few hours ago after i changed the tps a code said tps/pedal posoitoin circuit a high input

thanks guys

sganc4life_4
11-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Would you mind retyping your question/problem so where it is able to be read? I honestly want to help but I cant understand 90% of what youre trying to say.

bml.61089
11-08-2009, 07:46 AM
ok sorry i was in a hurry and tired last night

the car is has a hesitating feel like when the fuel filter needs to be changed , also it is backfiring when under load but not all the time it also idles at 1100 rpm so what do you think it could be ?

SilvrEclipse
11-08-2009, 11:37 AM
For your idle problem check your throttle plate stop and make sure its not keeping the throttle plate open to much, as check your throttle cable adjustment on the intake mani to make sure that the throttle is returning to that stop. Check for vac leaks also.

It sounds like you do have a fuel problem, you changed the filter so it could be a bad injector. You cant really test these so you could run some injector cleaner or pull them out and see how they look.

bml.61089
11-09-2009, 11:22 PM
For your idle problem check your throttle plate stop and make sure its not keeping the throttle plate open to much, as check your throttle cable adjustment on the intake mani to make sure that the throttle is returning to that stop. Check for vac leaks also.

It sounds like you do have a fuel problem, you changed the filter so it could be a bad injector. You cant really test these so you could run some injector cleaner or pull them out and see how they look.

about how long is the injectors life they have like 230 000 miles on them i pulled them they look good not clogged they all work .

SilvrEclipse
11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Shit thats a lot of miles for injectors. Im not really sure how often you are suppose to get them cleaned. Its often maintanence that never gets performed. But if you wanted to keep your vehicle in top shape I would say have them cleaned every 100k at the very least. The problem is that they get shit stuck in them and then dont have a good spray pattern and some of the injectors dont flow as much as they use to. And if they are really bad they could starve the motor for fuel at WOT. If you had a wideband o2 then you could see whether your leaning out at WOT.

Of course this may not even be your problem. Its hard to tell without having more data from the car.

Add your comment to this topic!