Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 eclipse died

exalteduser
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
98 eclipse rs 2.0 dohc fwd

this is not my car its bro in law so my details are limited right now. According to him it just died while idling (parked) while he was working. now it will not start.
So im going to head there tommorow and check his fuel pressure and a few things.
Can anyone tell me where his fuel pressure should be just by turning the key forward?
and maybe where the fuel relay is located.

Any comments, tips, solutions accepted! Thanks

sganc4life_4
11-08-2009, 04:49 AM
98 eclipse rs 2.0 dohc fwd

this is not my car its bro in law so my details are limited right now. According to him it just died while idling (parked) while he was working. now it will not start.
So im going to head there tommorow and check his fuel pressure and a few things.
Can anyone tell me where his fuel pressure should be just by turning the key forward?
and maybe where the fuel relay is located.

Any comments, tips, solutions accepted! Thanks

There could be any number of reasons why his car died idling. If theres something wrong with the FP, when you turn the key to the on position, you wont be able to hear it running. It is under the back seat. IIRC the relay is near the pump I think, I remember rewiring mine and running the thicker wire back there.

SilvrEclipse
11-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Fuel pump relay is in the engine bay, its one of the relays on the firewall on the driver side. However I doubt that is the problem. When you turn the key you will hear the fuel pump prime for a second. First check the timing belt and make sure that it hasn't broken, Also check for spark by pulling one of the plugs and turning the motor over.

exalteduser
11-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Update:
Fuel pump is operating. we cannot get spark from the coil, so we swapped it out with a working one and still cannot get any spark. could only find one fuse that had anything to do with ignition and it was fine, could not find any sort or ignition relay or anything. he said he was idling and it just cut off, no sputtering or anything, and i am at a loss now for trying to figure out why i cant get an arc/spark. i unhooked battery for 5+ minutes and still no luck.

Could it have to do with anti theft/ inertia switch or any other switch that kills the engine? and is there a manual way to pull codes without a scanner, cant afford one of those

Blackcrow64
11-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Possibly the power transistor or crank angle sensor? You could use a datalogger to pull codes if you know anybody that has one for OBD2 connections.

SilvrEclipse
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Check the middle pin on the coil for power when the car is turning over. Also check to see if there is power going to the injectors. If you dont have power going to these then the ECU is not allowing the engine to start. There car be a few things that will cause this. First check the engine fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. If thats not blown it could be a cam or crank position sensor either has a back connection or has gone out.

No power transistor on the 420a motor

Blackcrow64
11-08-2009, 04:34 PM
No power transistor on the 420a motor

Ah, my bad. I figured the whole 420a thing would bite me in the butt someday. lol

exalteduser
11-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Update again:

I am at a loss now, i have voltage on middle wire to coil and on the one closer to firewall(black w/blue stripe) but absolutely zero spark.
engine fuse and ignition fuse are good, tested with a meter.

i also would assume all this cranking i would smell some fuel, nada. i couldnt find cam position sensor to check that. the timing belt is on and in good shape.

only thing i can think of is to try to pull codes i am working on borrowing a scanner.

all i can think of is the computer is the issue, not sure. im better at working on older cars =\

SilvrEclipse
11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
The cam position sensor is in the front driver side of the valvecover. The crank position sensor is on the back side of the block by the oil filter.

exalteduser
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
ok going to run test on cam and crank sensor. this picture is the cam, can anyone point out which pin is volt, ground, signal or a good way to actually test this?

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/wl2/SU3019/3/image/8/

same deal with crankshaft sensor what is a good way to test, do i need to trip it with a magnet and measure resistance or how does it work? Thanks
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU3025/image/8/

SilvrEclipse
11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I suggest you go buy a shop manual from the store, they are less than 15$ I believe and will tell you how to test every sensor on that motor.

exalteduser
11-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Crankshaft sensor was the problem, i wasnt there to fix it but he did it and all is well now. Thanks for the help guys

SilvrEclipse
11-12-2009, 02:26 AM
No problem, glad he got it fixed.

Add your comment to this topic!