Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brake drum rivets

bigevil20
11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I want to replace my front brake drum on my 55 chevy truck. I need to remove 3 rivets that holds the hub to the drum in place and install that hub to the new drum. Can I take it to a brake shop that can re-install the rivet?

MagicRat
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I want to replace my front brake drum on my 55 chevy truck. I need to remove 3 rivets that holds the hub to the drum in place and install that hub to the new drum. Can I take it to a brake shop that can re-install the rivet?
I seem to recall the wheel studs go through the hub and drum then is deformed or swaged similar to a rivet, right?

Imo take the old drum and hub, and the new drum to a competent machine shop and have them do the entire disassembly and reassembly process.

Imo if you try to disassemble it yourself, you may ruin the 'sample' that a machine shop would need to do a proper job.
So, imo, leave it alone and let a machine shop swap them for you.

Finally, I'm pretty sure a brake shop would not do such work themselves. They would send it out to a machine shop then charge you 25% in addition to the machine shop charge. :)

slingslingbinks
01-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Grind the head's off the rivet's and drive them out. Throw the old rivet's in the trash can. They only hold the brake drum to the hub and are not required to be replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!