Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas Smell

exalteduser
11-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Recently changed fuel pump. after that was done i smelled gas (vapor), but i figured it might have spilled a little here or there. but its been 2 months maybe and it still smalles like gas when you walk by.

all 3 lines are connected on top, the rubber one didnt have clamps and was old hose could this be the smell origin?

94 4.3 4x4 blazer
with the multi port injection or w/e its called

old_master
11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Fuel odor can come from any number of areas: Loose or cracked fuel vapor line, purge canister, purge canister vent valve, a poor sealing fuel pump "O" ring, fuel filler neck, fuel cap, leaky fuel tank, fuel pressure or return line, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injector, or the lines, commonly referred to as "nut kit", inside the plenum of your CMFI engine. Visually check each item closely as it doesn't take much of a leak for you to notice an odor.

exalteduser
11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
the smell is definately at the rear of the vehicle near the tank, it has to be that 3rd vent line or the fill hose, i will start there.

old_master
11-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Good luck and please post your results. If you have questions, just ask.

Emmitt101
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Check the hose near the front of the tank. Hooks to a sensor I think. Replaced my pump and broke the sensor without realizing it and the gas smell was terrible. You may have snapped out the connection like I did.

84hurst
11-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Common problem. Start at the tank. Just above the seam where the two parts of the tank are welded together salt can collect and cause a rust hole. I've gone through 2 tanks on my 94 jimmy. You don't even have to completely drop the tank. Take off the plastic cover (9 13mm bolts) and the 2 tank straps (18mm) towards the back of the truck and the tank should drop down enough for you to inspect the entire back of the tank. It should be fairly easy to see the hole if there is one. A small leak can be repaired (but don't use the gas tank repair kit found at the local parts store, use jb weld) but a larger hole, 1/4 in or bigger will require tank replacement. Good luck with the repair and let us know how it goes.

Add your comment to this topic!