Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Change Radiator Cap?

C man
11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
How often should you change the radiator cap. Mine seems fine but I have lost almost 1qt. of coolant since the last time filled it at 158k now I have 160k.

I know I have to worry about the intake gasket problem. At 160k I am but I don't think it's the problem. It has been using a small amount of coolant since I've had it. But I have noticed that once it drops to about halfway under the cold mark on the coolant resevoir it seems to stop. So It seems to be a pressure thing to me.

I going to change the radaitor cap becuase it can't hurt but I just wanted some imput as to if bad or not so good radiator caps will display these signs.

Also I have mentioned before that radiator is original by I have found no leaks at all from it.

auto trainy
11-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Why dont you get the system checked using a pressure tester be sure,I dont think it costs much,do it cold and do it hot.

ZiggyPA
11-06-2009, 07:49 PM
These kind of leaks are often due to old hoses or clamps. As the above poster said do a pressure test (cold) and I'm sure that you will see some leaks.

imidazol97
11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
How often should you change the radiator cap. Mine seems fine but I have lost almost 1qt. of coolant since the last time filled it at 158k now I have 160k.

I know I have to worry about the intake gasket problem. At 160k I am but I don't think it's the problem. It has been using a small amount of coolant since I've had it. But I have noticed that once it drops to about halfway under the cold mark on the coolant resevoir it seems to stop. So It seems to be a pressure thing to me.

I going to change the radaitor cap becuase it can't hurt but I just wanted some imput as to if bad or not so good radiator caps will display these signs.

Also I have mentioned before that radiator is original by I have found no leaks at all from it.

You can watch the volume as a function of time the car is run when the radiator system is fully heated and under pressure. Longer drives and warmer environmental temperature will increase the amount of time the system is pressurized to the cap limit.

When the car has been driven on a longer run and you park it, do the sniff test around the engine compartment after shutdown to see if you can smell coolant seeping or leaking. I get a slight scent at times but can't find it. I keep wondering if it's around the radiator tanks but can't find any stains from coolant plus the organic leak stopper GM puts in.

If it's going into the intake manifold through EGR tube or seals, if you pull spark plugs you should see white deposits on some of the plugs that are getting the coolant sucked through occasionally, if its volume is high enough and often enough. Others had taken off the throttle body for cleaning and can check inside the UIM while it's off for leak from the UIM.

If the car has no leak sealant pellets in it, stop at the GM dealer and buy a package of 5 pellets and crush a couple of them and put into the radiator. I drive car, let cool some, open radiator cap with a towel over it, suck out some of the coolant with a hydrometer and dump in the crushed pellets. Close up and drive for a long period of time. Do this before you're going to do a longer drive.

See if the organic leak stop slows your coolant loss.

C man
11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey I like that idea. There is oil making its way up the lower manifold and sitting in one of the wells in the front of the engine so I'll check those two spark plugs to see if coolant is leaking and that is a failure point.

Prof_h
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I just noticed the anti-freeze smell, also a small puddle under my '97 PA, 135,000mi. Looked at the cap, it was probably the original, and noticed leak marks running down the side of the radiator under the cap. I replaced the cap, no more leaks noticed.
:biggrin:

C man
12-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Well it seems that my fluid level has stayed the same since I last posted. I have notice that it seems to level off at a point when cold but it's below the cold line a nice bit. When full warm its right below the cold line level with the top of my battery. When I think about it I have noticed seemed to level off on coolant use the same way on previous coolant reservoir refills. Who knows?:confused: May change cap in near future anyways but may have to replace the radiator before that, it’s still original.:icon16:

C man
12-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I changed my radiator cap recently. I'm sure it was original as is my radiator which is stamped as being manufactured in 94'.

Used a measuring cup to refill the resivor. In 3720 miles I lost 24oz of coolant which = 1oz per 155 miles
1oz = 2 tablespoons per 155 miles
= I never see it leak

Upon closer inspection my lower intake gaskets seems to be leaking. I seen a wet line where the lower manifold meets the block on the front of the engine. UIM is dry as can be. :confused: Maybe the lower intake gasket never was changed out. But I'm only loosing 6oz every 1k miles. Also I didn't notice imidazol97 post about the white ash on the spark plugs. When I checked them a couple of months ago I did note white ash deposits.

Now I have this problem and I'm trying to chase down a camshaft or crank sensor problem. :runaround:

And all I have is :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!