Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sars

oblaise
04-08-2003, 12:13 PM
I know this is off topic but I was wondering about this. I dont want to scare anyone but, I was wondering if it was possible to catch SARS Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, if I order something from HLJ. I have been reading up on it and know that it can be spread through droplets by sneezing and coughing or by direct contact, I was just wondering since HLJ is in Hong Kong. Tommorow I am going to recieve my HLJ shipment...
:eek:

Jay!
04-08-2003, 12:23 PM
SARS is like a cold, and is transmitted by bodily fluids like saliva and mucus. As long as the HLJ workers didn't sneeze into your box before they sealed it, you should be fine. And even if they did, the germs probably couldn't live long enough to make the overseas trip.

freakray
04-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by oblaise
.....HLJ is in Hong Kong. Tommorow I am going to recieve my HLJ shipment...
:eek:

It is?

I thought it was in Japan, Hong Kong is part of China......totally different

Their address:

HobbyLink Japan
Tatebayashi-shi, Nishitakane-cho 43-6
Gunma 374-0075 JAPAN

JDM Evo7
04-08-2003, 12:43 PM
HLJ is in Japan, Gunma prefecture, about one hour north of Tokyo. Where did you hear it was in Hong Kong? HLJ=Hobby Link Japan.

5ynergyx
04-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
SARS is like a cold, and is transmitted by bodily fluids like saliva and mucus. As long as the HLJ workers didn't sneeze into your box before they sealed it, you should be fine. And even if they did, the germs probably couldn't live long enough to make the overseas trip.

Hi Jay~ It's transmitted through droplets. But you are correct... the "virus" will not survive especially through shipping coz the duration is too long.. Normally the virus can stay on the surface of a room temperature for up to 4 hours. :)

RyanGiorgio
04-08-2003, 12:45 PM
This SARS crap sucks. If the problem persists, I may not be able to go to Montreal for the 2003 F1 Grand Prix :(. But hey, better missing that than catching that crappy virus.

Midnight Racer
04-08-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm scared to leave my house.10 people have died so far here in Canada from that shit.

Forhod
04-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Sars is really pain in the @ss..
If really infected, I'll go heaven and modeling there.. :rolleyes: :D

*Edit : How's Canada condition??

Mainomega
04-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Alright im not sure what it was, but about 6 years ago there was a virus that was spread from south asia by the shipping of products to south america. I'm trying to remember the name and more of the story but it happened such a long time ago.

But anyways, hopefully our amazing medical researchers can come up with a vaccine soon.

JDM Evo7
04-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Midnight Racer
I'm scared to leave my house.10 people have died so far here in Canada from that shit.

So 10 people in 30 million die from SARS and you're scared to leave the house? More people die every day from the common cold. I love how panic spreads from the media.

bibendumz
04-08-2003, 01:39 PM
don't worry guys, as long as you stay healthy, it is not easy to get infected with SARS virus....

Rtuned
04-08-2003, 01:46 PM
Do you know panic could make your body weaker and easier to get into SARS? be healthy and everything be fine. prevention is needed, but not panic. Still happy and healthy...:D

supratuner
04-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by freakray

It is?

I thought it was in Japan, Hong Kong is part of China......totally different

Their address:

HobbyLink Japan
Tatebayashi-shi, Nishitakane-cho 43-6
Gunma 374-0075 JAPAN

smart ass

most people associate hong kong, and all thsoe other asian cities as one place, Japan, so dont get smart on us

i would not be scared of SARS
considering there are 5 billion people on earth and only a couple thousand have got it, its not that big of a deal IMO

Street Sweeper
04-08-2003, 01:55 PM
I think everyone is over-reacting. I live in Toronto like Midnight Racer and I try not to let this "SARS panic" get to me. Looking statistically(in canada anyways) only older people and people with weak immune systems are becoming very ill and/or dying, while people in good health are recovering from it.The panic around here is quite bad though as Asian run business are doing badly and asian organization are getting threatening phone messages, even kids(the younger ones) in school are being isolated.:(

freakray
04-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by supratuner

smart ass

most people associate hong kong, and all thsoe other asian cities as one place, Japan, so dont get smart on us

considering there are 5 billion people on earth and only a couple thousand have got it, its not that big of a deal IMO

So you are telling me you didn't know the difference between Hong Kong and Japan either then....

tonioseven
04-08-2003, 02:13 PM

smart ass

considering there are 5 billion people on earth and only a couple thousand have got it, its not that big of a deal IMO They do it out of ignorance!:mad: Just by being on this board, you should be able to recognize the differences in location of our Asian friends!:mad: Take up geography and be more respectful of where people are from! You may learn something useful!;)

supratuner
04-08-2003, 02:21 PM

So you are telling me you didn't know the difference between Hong Kong and Japan either then....

yes, i do, but im saying, that mos tpeople her ein the USA, or at least in my area, are pisssed cuz unemployment has gone from 1 % to 11% in 6 months cuz all the jobs go to china, so they sya shit like, all the jobs goen to hong kong, or tokio (japan) or other asian, not nessecarily china towns.

OK?

ChopinPorkChop
04-08-2003, 02:21 PM
but guys like i would ask the same Q, its not racial profiling in any way, its just that it originated from there and nobody wants to get it so dont over exadurate

i also live near toronto and im not avoiding asians or anything, i have alot of asian buddys so lets not over exadurate

Guido
04-08-2003, 02:22 PM
OK guys, I know that it's a big deal, but I read a medical report over the weekend.

90% of all people infected are cured within a week and so far only 4% did actually die from it.

So take it easy. Like said If you stay in condition, then there is probably nothing to worry about. These kind of reactions is what we get with an over "informatised" society. Don't let yourself get scared from all the TV news. They need audience for the commercial income, so any "wild" news is good. I'm not saying we should ignore this, but rather place it in perspective.

just my 2 cents.

;)

Forhod
04-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Actually.. if you are healthy and strong, you got nothing to fear.
Just practice personal hygiene and everything is fine! :)

If you have any signs of Sars.. wear a mask and immediately seek Medical Attention.. :D :rolleyes:

That's what I read from Newspaper.. :p

JDM Evo7
04-08-2003, 03:31 PM

yes, i do, but im saying, that mos tpeople her ein the USA, or at least in my area, are pisssed cuz unemployment has gone from 1 % to 11% in 6 months cuz all the jobs go to china, so they sya shit like, all the jobs goen to hong kong, or tokio (japan) or other asian, not nessecarily china towns.

OK?

As far as jobs going to China and driving your unemployment rate from 1-11%. Unless you're an economics major, I would say you're flat out wrong. The stagnation in the US economy is not from labor pool shifts to 3rd world countries.

As an American, I don't think it's too much to ask my fellow Americans for some common sense when it comes to global geography. We would like to think we are the center of the world. The fact is, we are not. Hong Kong is a completely different place than Japan, than Vietnam, Singapore, etc..

After all, how insulted would you be if someone assumend you were Mexican or Canadian. After all, they're both also North Americans.

Do you consider Ireland to be England simply because they're both in the UK?

freakray
04-08-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by JDM Evo7

As far as jobs going to China and driving your unemployment rate from 1-11%. Unless you're an economics major, I would say you're flat out wrong. The stagnation in the US economy is not from labor pool shifts to 3rd world countries.

As an American, I don't think it's too much to ask my fellow Americans for some common sense when it comes to global geography. We would like to think we are the center of the world. The fact is, we are not. Hong Kong is a completely different place than Japan, than Vietnam, Singapore, etc..

After all, how insulted would you be if someone assumend you were Mexican or Canadian. After all, they're both also North Americans.

Do you consider Ireland to be England simply because they're both in the UK?

Well put....thank you :)

May I correct you on one thing though, Ireland is it's own country, Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

JDM Evo7
04-08-2003, 04:16 PM

Well put....thank you :)

May I correct you on one thing though, Ireland is it's own country, Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

The UK is the whole island. Ireland, Scottland, England are the UK. Or so I thought. I stand corrected. Scottland, England, N. Ireland are the UK. :D

freakray
04-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JDM Evo7

The UK is the whole island. Ireland, Scottland, England are the UK. Or so I thought. I stand corrected. Scottland, England, N. Ireland are the UK. :D

Wales :confused:

Ireland & N.Ireland are a separate Isle

England is not an Island.....It is called the British Isles for a reason.

http://www.ridingtours.com/images/british-isles.gif

endlesskev86
04-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 5ynergyx

Hi Jay~ It's transmitted through droplets. But you are correct... the "virus" will not survive especially through shipping coz the duration is too long.. Normally the virus can stay on the surface of a room temperature for up to 4 hours. :)

its actually 6 hrs....but that doesnt really matter...

i like ure sig... so sad to see him commit sucide like that... :(

supratuner
04-08-2003, 05:48 PM
OKOKOK, guess what guys?

first confermed case of SARS near me, 30 miles ;)

so maybe u dont want to order any thing from me?

freelunch
04-08-2003, 05:51 PM

smart ass

So if everyone's a dumbass its okay for you to? And theres over 6 billion people in the world.

slim.AP1
04-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by freelunch

So if everyone's a dumbass its okay for you to? And theres over 6 billion people in the world.

hehe, was just gonna say that.. actually its 6 285 500 450 and going up every second... but anyways.. SARS is scaring the fvck out of a lot of ppl in Toronto, especially the caucasians in my area because there's a large concentration of Asians. It's not that serious compared to HK, but it's not "just another virus"... I guess it's best not to overlook this issue but just be careful of your hygene. My dad is in HK right now and I am very scared that he might be one of the many unlucky people... he also mailed a couple models to me...

tankie
04-09-2003, 10:21 AM
guy don't worry be happy make more models and don't think about sar because modeling will trash all the killer sar :) :)

endlesskev86
04-09-2003, 04:41 PM
LOL
we are so used to the paint fumes we are gonna be immune to SARS...!!

JDM Evo7
04-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by endlesskev86
LOL

No kidding, lacquer fumes will kill SARS dead.

supratuner
04-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by endlesskev86
LOL

considering i paint in my bed room;)

i should be fine

cph81
04-09-2003, 06:21 PM
No kidding, lacquer fumes will kill SARS dead.

Yeah. And our brain cells too.:D

JDM Evo7
04-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by cph81

Yeah. And our brain cells too.:D

What brain cells? :D Little known fact but the organic solvents used in Lacquer paints are of the same chemical family as nerve agents like sarin. Organophosphates. Bad stuff. I've already noticed some side effects from 10+ years of exposure. I now use latex gloves any time I have to work with lacquer thinner. It is absorbed into the blood stream through skin. All you kids out there, be careful with this stuff!

Corradog60
04-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Since I live in HK, I think it would be better for me to state the situation in HK. Yes, the disease can be transfer by direct contact. Like shaking hands. So everyone is adviced not to touch the nose, eyes and month before washing hands. And they already found the medicine for this disease. So the situation is under control.

So don't need to worry. I am totally FINE and healthy.

Don't worry email can carry virus.

Stay healthy.

:flash:

endlesskev86
04-09-2003, 11:07 PM
wha!! dim ar Corradog!!?
good to see a fellow HK here in AF!!

u drive a gold? nice car ... i like VW

Toksin
04-09-2003, 11:40 PM

considering i paint in my bed room;)

That explains a lot :p :hehehe:

joecwlaw
04-10-2003, 01:47 AM

OK?

Pls be careful with your speech. although Hong Kong is under control by China, we are totally independent. And we face jobless here as well, because all the factories shifted to china, and employers employ china people because of much cheaper salary.

PLEASE APOLOGIZE !!!

......hong kong people are so innocent. If China did not hide the news of outbreak of first SARS last November, SARS will not spread around the world so quick. And it is because most of the china people have to take flight VIA hongkong to worldwide , so everyone is saying the virus is spread from Hong Kong. WTF

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

joecwlaw
04-10-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by tonioseven
They do it out of ignorance!:mad: Just by being on this board, you should be able to recognize the differences in location of our Asian friends!:mad: Take up geography and be more respectful of where people are from! You may learn something useful!;)

thanks Tonio......

I am really pissed off with someone here not respecting hong kong people. They just dont know the situation, and I am not assuming he is a geography, but better take out your map and history book ( I dont think you know HK had been governed by British people from the years of 1898 to 1997 :o ) before insulting a nation/ country here. :mad:

And better seach on google to see what is the governing body here in hong kong. After the handover to China from British after year of 1997, we are named "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region". In other words, just like one of the province of china but have INDEPENDENT GOVERNMENT(similar as US or canada).

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Chain
04-10-2003, 01:59 AM
I think we can safely say that SARs came from China in the first place and that countries like Hongkong, Singapore and those infected are neither to be blame for it.

Tactfully, I put it down to the government of the various countries who have either not done or done whatever they could in the first place to prevent it from spreading.

That said, you have many options to take if you wanna play it safe and most of them have been mentioned before.
Just need to re-adjust your life a little.
No point blaming anyone, important thing is to be responsible and take personal hygiene matters more seriously.

On a side note, I take the MRT train sometimes and I try to avoid the peak hours and leave for home later.
Leaving for office is tougher. Either wake up early or grab a cab.

Funny thing is, I rarely hear or havent heard anyone coughing in the public transports I take...hehe

Probably cos they are afraid people will give them 'hey you got SARS' look.

Guido
04-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by joecwlaw

Pls be careful with your speech. although Hong Kong is under control by China, we are totally independent. And we face jobless here as well, because all the factories shifted to china, and employers employ china people because of much cheaper salary.

PLEASE APOLOGIZE !!!

......hong kong people are so innocent. If China did not hide the news of outbreak of first SARS last November, SARS will not spread around the world so quick. And it is because most of the china people have to take flight VIA hongkong to worldwide , so everyone is saying the virus is spread from Hong Kong. WTF

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Did you know that here on AF we have a function called "Ignore list" and since I'm using this, reading the posts has become a lot more comfortable. The funny thing is, most of the time when people get upset it's because of the people on my ignore list. :D

flyonthewall
04-10-2003, 04:51 AM
I think this thread has gone on for long enough now. Aside from the fact that this is completely off topic, i can see it getting ugly if this continues.

Add your comment to this topic!