How to clean egr passage in 2000 Honda Passport

johnjsa
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I got a cel on my 2000 Honda Passport code P0401 & replaced eger valve. After a few days light came on again same code. was told to clean egr passages. How do I do this?

rexbest
11-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Remove the egr valve and set it to the side. Start the engine and set a brick or tool box on the gas pedal to keep the rpm up around 2K. Take a can of carb cleaner and slowly spray into the opening where you removed the egr valve. As you spray, the engine will sound like it is choking out. Stop spraying and let it come back up to rpm. Continue this process until you have emptied the entire can. Also spray the egr valve itself to clean it as well. When you are done, turn off the engine and reinstall the valve. When my cel light came on for this I was quoted over $600 to replace the valve and clean it out. This way only cost me about $5. I did this about 3 years ago and have not had a problem since. I have a 2000 Rodeo so this should work for you as well.

Smiff 24
11-18-2009, 09:56 PM
On my 01 rodeo I removed the throttle body, (4 bolts and a couple of hoses)
and moved it over just enough to see inside the opening behind it.
Theres a small tube about 2" in from the opening, mine was clogged up there
took a drill bit and twisted it with my fingers till it broke thru the clog, then
with a pick scraped all I could out of it.

DrBlackrose
11-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I found out if the carbon is really hard the carb cleaner and Sea Foam will NOT break it up. I had to bust up the carbon with a 6" piece of hanger with a point on the end.

Add your comment to this topic!