Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Swap without Lift

jameslarsonsdsu
11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
A couple questions. I was driving down the highway a couple of days ago and the engine started rattling and losing power. The cruise was set at the time and it revved to 5500 to try and maintain speed. I kicked the cruise off and coasted to the side of the road. I am pretty sure it is a timing belt problem and I'm going to be out a lot of money. The next day, I started the car and it started but made a lot of bad mechanical noises. My first question. Can the timing belt slip a cog or two because if my timing belt broke I don't think the car would start. Correct? Second question. I'm pretty sure the engine is shot so I'm considering doing it myself in my garage. Can the engine be R & R'd without a lift. (out the top)? I have done many engine and tranny swaps but mostly on RWD vehicles. Any input. Thanks

tinmanwpk
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
The timing belt can, indeed, slip a cog or two. If it revved to 5500 rpm, if the belt were broken your engine would absolutely be toast since we do have interference engines. If you have lots of mechanical noises it is most probably gone. Do you have any codes?

As far as r & r the engine, I believe it has been done, but that is the hard way. You have to remove the sheet metal in the front end from what I recall. I have seen some posts from some who have done it, but an engine hoist would be the easier way to go.

Add your comment to this topic!