1993 eldorado brake lines w/blocks?

bigfartter
11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a leak at a block in the brake line. It is not a line leak. Can this block be eliminated? There are two lines going to the rear and each one has a floating aluminum block.One is by the front tire and the other is by the rear tire, both on separate lines. Does anyone know what they are and what they do? Can they be bypassed with a strait metal line? Any help would be appreciated-Thanks

bigj-dog
01-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Probably a little late, like 2 months, but for anyone else looking at the same problem, those aluminum blocks are proportioning valves. They do wear out over time, and although you can take them apart, clean them and kind of rebuild them, they are recommened not to be serviced. Rock Auto has them, and I got a pair from Factory Motor Parts for around $45 each. I had to change both rear blocks on a '92 Eldorado. Mine were A/C Delco part number 18020180.

hyarnell1
01-19-2010, 09:39 AM
They are proportioning valves. I have eliminated them when replacing rotten brake pipes. Be aware that there are different thread sizes for the inlet/outlet pipes.

maxwedge
01-19-2010, 10:38 AM
You did away withy the prop valves, these are critical components of the 4w disc brake system, how come?

hyarnell1
01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
This was done as an experiment on my own car. Brake tests (hard stops) were performed with no rear wheel lockup, nor degradation of the stopping process.

Add your comment to this topic!