Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 2.5L, 4speed manual, considering engine swap, trying to figure out best route.

Z1989T
11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
As the title states, I have an 87 s10. It is 2 wheel drive, with a 4 speed manual, I believe it is the borg warner 4speed, T- 10 I believe, correct me if I am wrong. I am having engine trouble and considering swaping, and I'd rather go to a 6 cylinder or more likely a small block v8. I called a trans shop and they said the trans thats on my truck would have no problem with the extra horsies under the hood. If that is correct, I want to know if anyone knows whats a good motor, more by the amount of time and work involved, to put in. I know its going to be a hell of alot of work, but what I am looking for is more, what motor will bolt right up to that trans without to much custom fabrication on my part, aside from motor mounts and everything else under the hood. Carb most likely was my original idea. Unless I get lucky and my dad decides to not replace the trans in my sisters suburban, in that case I'll pull her 350 motor and computer and fabricated the hell out of everything to jam it under my hood. Any thoughts or words of advice would be much appreciated, one thing I have to say, it has be a general motors product. Moneys tight, but I am going to do this right.

MT-2500
11-04-2009, 09:49 AM
As the title states, I have an 87 s10. It is 2 wheel drive, with a 4 speed manual, I believe it is the borg warner 4speed, T- 10 I believe, correct me if I am wrong. I am having engine trouble and considering swaping, and I'd rather go to a 6 cylinder or more likely a small block v8. I called a trans shop and they said the trans thats on my truck would have no problem with the extra horsies under the hood. If that is correct, I want to know if anyone knows whats a good motor, more by the amount of time and work involved, to put in. I know its going to be a hell of alot of work, but what I am looking for is more, what motor will bolt right up to that trans without to much custom fabrication on my part, aside from motor mounts and everything else under the hood. Carb most likely was my original idea. Unless I get lucky and my dad decides to not replace the trans in my sisters suburban, in that case I'll pull her 350 motor and computer and fabricated the hell out of everything to jam it under my hood. Any thoughts or words of advice would be much appreciated, one thing I have to say, it has be a general motors product. Moneys tight, but I am going to do this right.

Best to stay with you have.
A lot of times a 4 cyl transmission will not hold a V6 or V8 power.

S-10 front end and supension and brakes will not hold up to a V8.

oldblu65
11-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I think your transmission isn't a T10 but rather the four speed version of the T5 . I think it was called a T4 ? The T5 has been used with V8's ( in modified vehicles ) but extreme caution should be used as the transmission can't tolerate much brute power or use ! There is a website that may help you figure this out and I'll send you a PM with that info . Good luck !.

Z1989T
11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
sorry i read your personal message first, thanks ill check it out, yeah i know the t5 has a tendancy to go real quick with a v8, if i were to do a swap id want to be able to tow so id probably upgrade the trans in that case. And suspension and breaks goes without saying.

Add your comment to this topic!