Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

In removing my Hard Top on my 78 450 SL the rear, Bonnet, catch will not release.

Swifty7844
04-08-2003, 10:27 AM
In removing my hard top the rear, bonnet, catch will not release. I know the cable probably needs adjusting. Is there anyone out there who can help me in getting to the catch to adjust the cable so that I can remove and store my hardtop for the summer?

Or, do you know a trick about how to manually release the bonnet catch without scratching the paint?

Thanks for any help

Swifty7844

bumsinflt
01-31-2004, 11:44 PM
Just similiar car from dealer and he was showing me how to remove top - well the cable was streached and would not release - so mechanic came out with 12 in screw driver style tool that was shaped like a dental tool - and poked it into catch and it released. Good luck.

Neil450
02-23-2004, 11:27 PM
In removing my hard top the rear, bonnet, catch will not release. I know the cable probably needs adjusting. Is there anyone out there who can help me in getting to the catch to adjust the cable so that I can remove and store my hardtop for the summer?

Or, do you know a trick about how to manually release the bonnet catch without scratching the paint?

Thanks for any help

Swifty7844
There are two levers involved in releasing the rear catch. Push the smaller lever down to the 6 o'clock position.

joe_3113
12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I had the same issue with my 83 380sl and the screwdiver trick worked for me.

Add your comment to this topic!