Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Jeep cherokee sport ticks when accelerating

redstripe
11-03-2009, 06:33 PM
When I hit the gas it almost sounds like a baseball card in bike spokes? Seems to be exhaust issue. any ideas? thanks

rhandwor
11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
The catalytic converter may be coming apart. Try unbolting it in front of the converter if it stops buy a new one. Spray the bolts with P-B Blaster the night before checking. I have drilled out the broken stud and used new nuts and bolts. I recently broke one on my vehicle and heated it up cherry red and used vice grips to remove.
With the vehicle on jack stands use a long screwdriver and listen. The metal against the converter the plastic against your ear. If its loud you certainly hear it with the engine running.

fredjacksonsan
11-04-2009, 11:02 AM
If it's an exhaust leak you should be able to hear it better when someone covers the exhaust pipe with their hand.

Figure you'd want to locate the leak more clearly before you start unbolting things. (not that rhandwor is wrong)

jlc55
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
have a 1998 jeep cherokee with the same problem with the catco.. Is there any way how to fix the problem without repalcing the thing? One mechanic told me that hitting the thing with a hammer but i dont know bout that..

Add your comment to this topic!