Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery

ls2000
11-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Took my 2000 LS to the dealership they state I needed a new battery so I went and purchased a new battery and had NTB put it in before NTB could even pull it into the garage my car started to sputter and shut off and would not start back up obviously it's not the battery any ideas of what it could be that will not allow my car to start even with a new battery also has anybody had the problem with water in the spare tire well?

shorod
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe it's the lack of punctuation in your post, but I don't quite follow the stream of events. It sounds like NTB (whatever that is) was trying to pull your car in to the garage to change the battery and the vehicle stalled. So, at this point the new battery is not yet installed? When it won't start (with or without a new battery) does the starter crank the engine over, just doesn't start? Or do you get a single click and the starter never tries to turn the engine over. Does the engine run fine when it's running, or does it idle rough?

Others have posted about water in their trunks, try searching the forum using the "Search this forum" feature from the Lincoln LS forum main page (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=280).

-Rod

ls2000
11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
The new battery is not yet installed but the old battery is still in the car and it stalled before they could put it into the garage they install the new battery in the car and now it won't start at all. The starter cranks but will the engine will not turn over at all. With the old battery I would need a jump and the car would run just like new and it does not idle rough. My problem is the car acts like it wants to start but will not start at all now that the new battery is installed before with the old battery it would run but it just needed a jump to get going.

shorod
11-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Unless you blew a fuse in the process of installing the battery, I'm not sure what the correlation would be. Do all the bulbs in the instrument cluster go through the bulb test when the key is turned to the Run position? Did you happen to watch them attempt to install the new battery? Is there any chance they may have hooked in up backwards (reverse polarity) the first time?

You probably need to figure out if you aren't getting fuel or spark now. Also make sure the fuel pump inertia cutoff is not tripped.

-Rod

lincolnlsboy
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
hey rod can you help me last night my car stared to acted up. this is the proble i had a new battry that was dead so i turned my lincoln on and to the battry out that was on the lincoln so i hooked up the dead battry on to the lincoln the right way but then it turned off. so i put the battry that was already on my car back in but now it doesnt turn on. this is wat it does, you start it up and it starts up normal for about 3 seconds and it turnsf off in a boging ot way after it turns off the dash says gear select data error. it keeps doing this do u have any ideas what it might be. i checked the fuses in the front, inside, and back of the car.

shorod
11-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Hunh? I'm guessing you posted that from a cellphone. I am having a real difficult time following the issue and what you've done. Maybe a bulleted list of the steps would help me out.

-Rod

danielsatur
11-06-2009, 06:25 PM
LOL - Picture your Spare in a middle of an Ice cube!

It's nothing unusual for a leak in your trunk,see Boot (Trk) & Bonnet (hood) Flood.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=893556

cdc692003
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
maybe when battery went dead it triggered the anti theft system and shut the car down might need have reset

shorod
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
The OEM anti-theft systems will only prevent a start if a non-programmed key is used. They don't incorporate any anti-hijack features nor will they shut down a car that is already running.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!