Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Dodge Durango possible sludge/neglect

mzedalis
11-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi,

I am writing this post because I need help by anyone that can assist me. Last week my wife went out in the morning to start my 2004 5.7 hemi and it sounded like a can was in the engine. We towed it to dodge where they ask to see the oil change receipts for the last 5 years and they have to be under the 3000 mark. I have and submitted the receipts so thats not a problem. They then ask for a written permission form to tear down the engine to search for neglect. I researched this on the internet and what there trying to get at is if they find "sludge". The truck has about 90,000 on it and is apparently covered by a extended warranty. A couple of months ago I brought the truck in to the dealer because oil was appearing on the air filter. It was given back to me with th E.G.R. replaced and the PVC replaced. After realizing what these components do, and they obviously failed. They can cause engine sludge to form. I am expecting that dodge will still try and stick this on me if they find sludge, but what do i do to explain to them that there technician fixed the faulty valves but should have checked to see if sludge was forming. I also find it strange that whenever I had a dealer oil change they put in 5w/20 oil and not 5w/30. I know there is not much of a difference but it is not the recommended oil for my truck. They also would put it in the engine in the hot months. Any help would be appriciated. Its just frustrating knowing I am going to get blamed for there defective product.

MagicRat
11-04-2009, 11:50 PM
chances are, the extended warranty has a written contract that you were given when you bought it. Look it over, including the fine print. Find out what your obligations are and if you have followed them. Imo the wrong oil is the dealer fault... if they say it's an issue then you can claim it was done in their best judgment and is there responsibility.

Of course, you may be SOL if another company changed some of the oil and put in 5W-20.

But if you did everything the contract said you had to do, then you are at an advantage. The dealer may duck out of the claim anyways.... and in that case, make a big fuss. Complain to the dealer management, complain to Chrysler, contact your local consumer affairs office, contact a lawyer etc. Make it clear to the dealer that you are prepared to fight them in order to get what you deserve.

FWIW, these extended warranties are semi-worthless.
Regular warranty work is paid by the auto manufacturer, and they tend not to make a fuss about claims, because they want satisfied, repeat customers.
But usually extended warranties are purchased through a separate company, who are strictly in the business of selling warranties. They couldn't care less if you are a repeat customer. They have a much stronger interest than the manufacturer in finding a way out of any claim and will look for any reason to do so.

Good luck :)

Add your comment to this topic!