Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Tahoe Will Crank but won't FIRE!

dfederly
11-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I have a 1999 Tahoe V8 5.7.
I was getting an antifreeze/oil mix, so after two months of sitting, I took the engine down to the head gaskets, replaced with all new gaskets from the head up. Scraped and cleaned everything, new plugs, new wires. Got it back together, now it won't start, it'll turn over and sound like it wants to fire but won't. I have gone through the troubleshooting guide in my Haynes manual. But most of what they offer for ideas is pretty basic and beginner. I am hoping someone on here might have an idea that I haven't thought of. I would list the things that I have done, but I would much rather check everything again if you think that could be it. So go ahead, spitball away I'm all ears. Thanks.

manicmechanix
11-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Have you checked for spark and checked the fuel pressure? Also double check ign, PCM, ign, fuel inj. fuses.

MT-2500
11-03-2009, 07:59 AM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=51302

dfederly
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replies, I have timed the distributor/cylinders, and valves. Fuel Injector spider was dirty but I cleaned it off when putting it back together, I am getting fuel to the cylinders, I do have spark at the plugs, and I have compression out of the plug hole for cylinder #1. (Finger over the hole, turn engine over) I am sure the answer is there and it will be simple, I just can't imagine what it would be. I don't have a guage to check for fuel pressure, but I opened the release and got a pretty good spray, is that something I should look into more?? Also, I have been wondering about the Ignition Coil, is there a way I can test it??

MT-2500
11-03-2009, 12:18 PM
After felling compression.

Did you roll engine to no 1 cyl TDC compression stroke and then set dist as in picture?

Also confirm plug wires on right check firing order.

On fuel pressure you can not tell by a squirt.
You need to put a gauge on it and confirm proper fuel pressure 60/66 lbs.
you need 63-64 lbs on engiune cranking to squirt injectors.
Rent or borrow or by buy a fuel pressure gauge.
Some parts places rent or loan them.

ON coil coil testing check for good hot blue spark out of coil tower.
Then check for good hot blue spark to all plugs.

dfederly
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I will run to the local auto parts store and pick up a fuel pressure gauge to check that. One thing that I notice while checking plug wires is that I am only getting a white spark, not a hot blue, I don't know how significant that is, or what it signifies. I would like to test the ignition coil, but the instructions I've found for testing it don't seem all that clear. . .

Checked the fuel pressure, running at 64 LBS. . . Recently I've also started wondering if it could be one of the hundreds of sensors on this engine. Let me know what you think. . . .

MT-2500
11-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Make sure dist is set right on no 1 compression stroke.
And spark plugs wires wired to firing order.
Most flat top caps are numbered to what cylinder they fire.
Put the right wire on the right plug.
Make sure you have proper fuel pressure.
Than check for good spark to all plugs engine cranking.
If still no start pull plugs and check for wet or dry on end and make sure you have good AC delco plugs in it.

Coil can be tested for good spark out of coil.

A spark jump tester workes best.

Spark should jump over 1/4 and have a good blue spark with a good sounding snap.

manicmechanix
11-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Checked the fuel pressure, running at 64 LBS. . . Recently I've also started wondering if it could be one of the hundreds of sensors on this engine. Let me know what you think. . . .

Just a suggestion, it would be best to post an update with another post so all will notice. I think you should verify that the distributor is really pointing to 1 TDC like MT-2500 mentioned. This a very common reason for no start after tearing the heads down. Check with a test light if the injector is getting powr and being pulsed on the other wire.

j cAT
11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
since you have a weak spark check the ground connections on the engine/distributor area, coil connections, corroded lugs etc...

dfederly
11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
The whole time I have been trying to start, I never once had a problem with the starter, now today after getting it put back together, the starter decides to go, so before I do any more trouble shooting I will have to fix that. It could be a little bit. I will post back with end results, thanks all for the help.

j cAT
11-04-2009, 07:53 AM
The whole time I have been trying to start, I never once had a problem with the starter, now today after getting it put back together, the starter decides to go, so before I do any more trouble shooting I will have to fix that. It could be a little bit. I will post back with end results, thanks all for the help.

in a situation like you are in you crank 10sec. then no crank 3 min.if you crank too long and do not allow time for starter to cool you will destroy starter...

battery is also a problem. after a series of start attempts the charger goes on and until battery is fully charged start attempts can resume..

dfederly
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
After going out of town a few times and other things coming up, I had finally gotten the starter replaced and inspected the flywheel and found quite a few teeth missing, long story short replaced the flywheel got it put back together, and now back to square one. Engine has fuel and spark and turns over but will not fire, I am almost out of options at this point and am thinking I may have to bring it to a shop, I really don't want to, but I don't know what else to try. . . . .

MT-2500
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
After going out of town a few times and other things coming up, I had finally gotten the starter replaced and inspected the flywheel and found quite a few teeth missing, long story short replaced the flywheel got it put back together, and now back to square one. Engine has fuel and spark and turns over but will not fire, I am almost out of options at this point and am thinking I may have to bring it to a shop, I really don't want to, but I don't know what else to try. . . . .

How much fuel?
What is the fuel pressure readings?
Is the dist set right?

Spark to all spark plugs?

Are spark plugs wet or dry on the end?
Any security lights staying on?

dfederly
12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
How much fuel?
What is the fuel pressure readings?
Is the dist set right?

Spark to all spark plugs?

Are spark plugs wet or dry on the end?
Any security lights staying on?
64 lbs on the fuel pressure, distributor is timed and set correctly, white spark on all plugs, no security lights, disabled theftlock, spark plugs are damp, also we have tried jumping the battery from another vehicle thinking maybe we needed more amps. . . .no joy. . . .

MT-2500
12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
64 lbs on the fuel pressure, distributor is timed and set correctly, white spark on all plugs, no security lights, disabled theftlock, spark plugs are damp, also we have tried jumping the battery from another vehicle thinking maybe we needed more amps. . . .no joy. . . .

It should go.

You might try a new set of plugs.

How is anti theft disabled?

dfederly
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
replaced ignition pick-up (under rotor) and it fired and ran for about 1.5 seconds, tried and tried, couldn't get it to fire again though, been tryin off and on for 2 days and no joy. I am thinking the next step will be to take the valve covers off again and check rockers, valves and overall timing. . . .

MT-2500
12-16-2009, 08:36 AM
There is no ign pickup in dist.

Confirm good fuel pressure.
Confirm the dist is set right.
Confirm good spark to all plugs when cranking.
Are you getting injector pulse to injectors.

Will it fire up with a shot of carb cleaner?

What did you do to disable anti theft?

Does it start and run for 2 seconds and then shut off?

dfederly
12-16-2009, 07:47 PM
There is no ign pickup in dist.

Confirm good fuel pressure.
Confirm the dist is set right.
Confirm good spark to all plugs when cranking.
Are you getting injector pulse to injectors.

Will it fire up with a shot of carb cleaner?

What did you do to disable anti theft?

Does it start and run for 2 seconds and then shut off?

Not the pickup, but the elctrical connector directly below the rotor.

64 on fuel pressure - good
Dist set right while at tdc
good spark on all plugs
How do I check the injector pulse on this type of injection?

With carb cleaner it back fired, fire, out the intake.

Entered code to "disable" theflock

Only started one time for a short period . . . . 1-2 seconds

manicmechanix
12-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Sounds like to me your valve timing or ignition timing might be off.

j cAT
12-17-2009, 08:20 AM
does it start up for a second then die ...if so this may be the security lock..you will need to reset this..

Add your comment to this topic!