Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

best performance car for 8-10 grand?

brett214
11-02-2009, 08:10 PM
hi im lookingh for the best performing car for around 8 grand. not just top speed wise but handling, body roll, acceleration and somewat looks. id rather go fast then look good though. im looking more towards awd since i get snow where i live. i was wondering about the awd 300c if i could find one cheap enough. like hows the handling and stuff since its so big and heavy? thanks

arock7musicx
08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
If you enjoy a car that handles well, stay away from the 300C. If you can come up with a little more money or are ok with a car that has a little bit higher mileage, I think a Subaru WRX will be RIGHT up your alley.

ZenkiAE86
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
If you can fid one you should def. go with a AE86 Corrolla or a MR2 both cars handle great and have enouf speed to get to the turns :) stay away from supra's thou lol

Or if you like the german scene try out a golf or even better a VW rabbit, if you must use an american car :disappoin early 90's mustang 5.0 is always a good choice to..

arock7musicx
08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
If you can fid one you should def. go with a AE86 Corrolla or a MR2 both cars handle great and have enouf speed to get to the turns :) stay away from supra's thou lol

Or if you like the german scene try out a golf or even better a VW rabbit, if you must use an american car :disappoin early 90's mustang 5.0 is always a good choice to..

All of those cars will be absolutely horrid in the snow. The corolla is a featherweight and will float right on top of the snow, plus rear wheel drive is the worse layout if winter weather driving is your concern. Not to mention it is a 20 yr old car (worn out parts) and it is damn near impossible to make any power with them.

The MR2 turbo will be a great performer, but to drive a turbocharged, rear wheel drive, mid engine car in the winter is just plain foolish.

The supra would be better than either of these, but you'll never find one for 8 grand (not a decent one anyways). Plus if you drive a supra in the snow I'll slap you. :nono:

A VW is a decent suggestion. Although with 8 grand, I would look for a late model 1.8 turbo or vr6. Good power and handling, luxurious interior, decent in the snow, and great tunability. They are, however, a pain in the arse to work on.

The fox body mustang is almost as bad of an idea as the mr2. Not only could you get a newer, nicer car than that for 8 grand, but they oversteer like CRAZY. They have terrible handling on pavement, let alone in the snow! Go ahead - ask me how I know.

I still stand by my WRX suggestion, but there are other options available. A Dodge SRT-4 is quick, handles very well, is easy to make very fast, and being front wheel drive will be better in the snow than a rear wheel drive car. There is also the Cobalt SS, Honda Civic SI, Nissan Sentra SE-R spec V, etc... I'll bet the Subaru will outperform all of these cars however. In the snow it would be no competition.

ZenkiAE86
08-20-2010, 07:46 PM
All of those cars will be absolutely horrid in the snow. The corolla is a featherweight and will float right on top of the snow, plus rear wheel drive is the worse layout if winter weather driving is your concern. Not to mention it is a 20 yr old car (worn out parts) and it is damn near impossible to make any power with them.

The MR2 turbo will be a great performer, but to drive a turbocharged, rear wheel drive, mid engine car in the winter is just plain foolish.

The supra would be better than either of these, but you'll never find one for 8 grand (not a decent one anyways). Plus if you drive a supra in the snow I'll slap you. :nono:

A VW is a decent suggestion. Although with 8 grand, I would look for a late model 1.8 turbo or vr6. Good power and handling, luxurious interior, decent in the snow, and great tunability. They are, however, a pain in the arse to work on.

The fox body mustang is almost as bad of an idea as the mr2. Not only could you get a newer, nicer car than that for 8 grand, but they oversteer like CRAZY. They have terrible handling on pavement, let alone in the snow! Go ahead - ask me how I know.

I still stand by my WRX suggestion, but there are other options available. A Dodge SRT-4 is quick, handles very well, is easy to make very fast, and being front wheel drive will be better in the snow than a rear wheel drive car. There is also the Cobalt SS, Honda Civic SI, Nissan Sentra SE-R spec V, etc... I'll bet the Subaru will outperform all of these cars however. In the snow it would be no competition.

Right sorry I over looked the fact that there was snow involved i had just got off work when i was on here yesterday, so yea forget what all i said lol i have know idea about a good car for the snow thou if you want to know how to clean a snow bank or ditch line out in the winter i am you man XD also FYI at speed FWD cars suck just as bad at least in my personal *AGH guard rail!!!!!* experiance...... also what do you mean you'll slap me for driving a supra in the snow I told him not to XD

Or a EVO VII there nice too and atleast in KY there alot cheaper than a WRX.

arock7musicx
08-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Right sorry I over looked the fact that there was snow involved i had just got off work when i was on here yesterday, so yea forget what all i said lol i have know idea about a good car for the snow thou if you want to know how to clean a snow bank or ditch line out in the winter i am you man XD also FYI at speed FWD cars suck just as bad at least in my personal *AGH guard rail!!!!!* experiance...... also what do you mean you'll slap me for driving a supra in the snow I told him not to XD

Or a EVO VII there nice too and atleast in KY there alot cheaper than a WRX.

Sorry If I came off like an a-hole :icon16: The reason FWD cars are generally considered better in the snow is more than just the extra traction provided by the motor being over the driven wheels. Any sporty car is going to be somewhat unstable at speed in the snow, but a rear wheel drive car is more likely to oversteer and spin (not good) while a front wheel drive car will understeer and continue to slide at the velocity (speed and direction) it was already going (still not good, but a little safer in most situations).

I didn't mean that I would slap YOU per se... my point was just that the Supra is a beautiful, rare, iconic car, and anyone who buys one with the intentions of driving it in the snow should be slapped, that's all. :iceslolan

Are you sure you don't mean Evo VIII? The Evo VII was never released in the US, and if there happened to be one in your area I can't imagine it would go for less than a WRX. Also, an Evo might be similarly priced to a WRX STI, but a regular ~2003 WRX can be had for a tick over 10 grand, and with some properly researched and well chosen performance parts it could easily hang with an STI.

:2cents:

ZenkiAE86
08-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry If I came off like an a-hole :icon16: The reason FWD cars are generally considered better in the snow is more than just the extra traction provided by the motor being over the driven wheels. Any sporty car is going to be somewhat unstable at speed in the snow, but a rear wheel drive car is more likely to oversteer and spin (not good) while a front wheel drive car will understeer and continue to slide at the velocity (speed and direction) it was already going (still not good, but a little safer in most situations).

I didn't mean that I would slap YOU per se... my point was just that the Supra is a beautiful, rare, iconic car, and anyone who buys one with the intentions of driving it in the snow should be slapped, that's all. :iceslolan

Are you sure you don't mean Evo VIII? The Evo VII was never released in the US, and if there happened to be one in your area I can't imagine it would go for less than a WRX. Also, an Evo might be similarly priced to a WRX STI, but a regular ~2003 WRX can be had for a tick over 10 grand, and with some properly researched and well chosen performance parts it could easily hang with an STI.

:2cents:

yea VIII, but its cool. however supras are not so rare around here i mean just last week i seen two go for 1200 bucks running & driving (none turbo 92 model but never the less supras) on craigslist. and these hillbillies up here treat the WRX like there rare as GT-R34 M spec :shakehead, so atleast in this area the Evo is a good idea. So i guess if you realy want to know the best car for around 9K is you should check local listings and if your still having problems post what cars your trying to decide between on here and we would probly be able to help out better.

:sarcasm1: And you probly wot get slaped for talking about snow drifting in a 98 Supra RZ.

Also I just seen that we have are having this fight over a dead forum LOL
post date was nov. 2009

arock7musicx
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
:rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!