need help:)

GrannyAnne
11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
My engine in my 1992 Jeep Wrangler finally gave out. I was thinking about swapping the previous in-line 4 for something bigger. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!:smooch:

sassee
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Jeep In-line 6 is one of the most durable engines ever built! With the proper cam it will deliver more torque than a Jeep 304 v-8. You could do a GM or Ford V-8 conversion but the 258 (or 4.0) is the cheapest and easiest way to breath new life into your Jeep! I used to tow a 6500 lb. Barefoot Nautique with my last CJ-7. It had a 258 in it and never slowed down on the hills. (of course stopping quickly was another issue entirely!!!)

fredjacksonsan
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
You can swap in a 6 cylinder, and this has been explored in several threads. If you have the time and $$ for the swap, it's a great way to go.

If not, then simply replacing the 4 cylinder is much cheaper and simpler. I will say however, that I've seen some folks talking about putting the throttle body from the 4.0 onto the 2.5, and apparently it makes a good bit more power. If you decide to replace with another 4 banger, you could go this route -- and have it rebuilt with a better camshaft and other performance parts to increase power.

Add your comment to this topic!