Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya Enzo Photoetch Compatibility Question

ChillyB
11-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm looking into photoetch sets for the Tamiya Enzo kit and see that KA Models makes an Enzo set but it is apparently for the Fujimi kit. Does anyone have experience with this particular set and is it compatible with the Tamiya Enzo kit?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

ScottForster
11-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't think it will fit

star21
11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
i'm sure the same compatibility question has been asked thousands of times w/ other brands, make/models for PE sets. the scale may be the same but dimensions for certain parts of the car and how a manufacturer like Tamiya or Fujimi interprets them might be very different. for instance I purchased an Aoshima GT-R kit but at the time PE sets were only made for the Tamiya (which are noticeably off in sizing).

is there a particular reason why you wanted the KA models PE set? brands like Hobby Design, Crazy Modeler, and Scale Motorsport make kits for the Tamiya.

ChillyB
11-01-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm sure the same compatibility question has been asked thousands of times w/ other brands, make/models for PE sets. The scale may be the same but dimensions for certain parts of the car and how a manufacturer like Tamiya or Fujimi interprets them might be very different. For instance I purchased an Aoshima GT-R kit but at the time PE sets were only made for the Tamiya (which are noticeably off in sizing).
This minor-variances issue is exactly why I was asking about this specific photoetch set and its suitability for use with this specific kit. My fear is that important pieces will be unusable; however, if someone knows for a fact that this pe set is perfectly compatible with the Tamiya kit, then I'd get it.

Is there a particular reason why you wanted the KA models PE set? Brands like Hobby Design, Crazy Modeler, and Scale Motorsport make kits for the Tamiya.
The KA set seems to be exactly what I want: at $21 it is significantly less expensive that the SMS set at $33 or the CM set at $36, while the $9 Hobby Design set, so far as I can tell, doesn't have as much detail. It's a Goldilocks Dilemma if ever there was one.

If the KA set is out of the question, then I'll probably spring for the Crazy Modeler set and try to expand and improve my modeling skills when I get around to building the Enzo.

Thanks for your help.

star21
11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
This minor-variances issue is exactly why I was asking about this specific photoetch set and its suitability for use with this specific kit. My fear is that important pieces will be unusable; however, if someone knows for a fact that this pe set is perfectly compatible with the Tamiya kit, then I'd get it.

The KA set seems to be exactly what I want: at $21 it is significantly less expensive that the SMS set at $33 or the CM set at $36, while the $9 Hobby Design set, so far as I can tell, doesn't have as much detail. It's a Goldilocks Dilemma if ever there was one.

If the KA set is out of the question, then I'll probably spring for the Crazy Modeler set and try to expand and improve my modeling skills when I get around to building the Enzo.

Thanks for your help.

perfectly understandable. it really comes down to what specific parts you really want detailed. between the KA set and the HD set it seems of course the minor details. most notably it looks like the fan detail and an enzo plaque/license plate in the KA set. personally I'd spring the extra $$ for the Crazy Modeler kit *shrug* but its your budget. I wouldn't risk $$ on a PE kit that was modeled after another brand's one and try to make it fit the other one.

MidMazar
11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
perfectly understandable. it really comes down to what specific parts you really want detailed. between the KA set and the HD set it seems of course the minor details. most notably it looks like the fan detail and an enzo plaque/license plate in the KA set. personally I'd spring the extra $$ for the Crazy Modeler kit *shrug* but its your budget. I wouldn't risk $$ on a PE kit that was modeled after another brand's one and try to make it fit the other one.

:iagree:

I never had trouble with sms pe. And crazy modeller shouldn't be either.

ChillyB
11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I never had trouble with sms pe. And crazy modeller shouldn't be either.
But do you know whether or not the KA Models set is compatible with the Tamiya kit? Or, put another way, to what extent the KA set is incompatible with the Tamiya kit?

The issue isn't really whether or to what extent the SMS or Crazy Modeler sets are or are not suitable.

Thanks.

blubaja
11-02-2009, 04:41 PM
According to Stradasports website:

http://www.stradasportsstore.com/page121.html
http://www.stradasportsstore.com/media/logos/ardvark/Exoto/BBR/MSM/KAModels/ke24017 KE-24017 ENZO DETAIL-UP ETCHED PARTS
1/24 scale. One photo-etched sheet and one metal sticker One A4-sized coloured instruction sheet included For Fujimi kit

No.

MPWR
11-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Do you have the Tamiya Enzo kit? Have you looked at it?

If ever there was a list of kits that do not need photoetch parts, the Tamiya Enzo would probably be at the very top. Do not assume that because there is PE available for it that you should actually spend money on it and use it. There is not a PE set that is as good as the kit itself. It would be a bit like bronzing a gold metal- you're not really going to improve your build with PE. :disappoin

Instead of just buying some PE set, take a really good look at the kit. Study every assembly. Then make a list of the parts of the kit that you think really need to be replaced with etched metal parts. Then look for a PE set that has some/most of those parts.

I would say that the kit needs a set of scratchbuilt rear shocks- but you certainly won't find them in PE. PE seatbelt buckles might be nice if you're into that. Otherwise....

Save your money and buy some good paint, some Tamiya tape, and some sharp knife blades. And SMS's photo reference CD- easily the most useful add-on you can buy for this kit. But don't buy PE because you assume it will make the kit better.

ChillyB
11-03-2009, 08:40 AM
According to Stradasports website:

No.
Perhaps we think differently, but I didn't take the Stradasports entry as the definitive answer. It was, in fact, the origin of my query. I'll buy from Kevin when I decide what I want. While shopping there I noticed the "for Fujimi kit" qualifier and it got me wondering. So, thanks for your response.

Do you have the Tamiya Enzo kit? Have you looked at it?
Do not assume that because there is PE available for it that you should actually spend money on it and use it.

Instead of just buying some PE set, take a really good look at the kit. Study every assembly. Then make a list of the parts of the kit that you think really need to be replaced with etched metal parts. Then look for a PE set that has some/most of those parts.

But don't buy PE because you assume it will make the kit better.
Good advice in general and applicable to all modelers and all models. I'm not a photoetch fetishist, nor do I think that detail sets are a substitute for modeling skills. I won this kit as a prize in an online contest and haven't yet seen it, but I think I know what to expect having seen many build-ups here as well as having built several of Tamiya's 360s and Carrera GTs.

If nothing else, I feel reasonably certain that the various mesh grille and vent bits can profit from enhancement offered by photoetch parts. And because I'll want those parts I am comparing the various available photoetch offerings on the market to see what best suits my needs and my budget; hence, my desire to ascertain the suitability of the KA Models set.

I was hoping, apparently against hope, that someone here might have actual personal experience with the kits and detail sets in question and might have had an opportunity to determine comparative usability.

In any case, thanks for your thoughtful response.

MPWR
11-03-2009, 10:09 AM
If nothing else, I feel reasonably certain that the various mesh grille and vent bits can profit from enhancement offered by photoetch parts. And because I'll want those parts I am comparing the various available photoetch offerings on the market to see what best suits my needs and my budget; hence, my desire to ascertain the suitability of the KA Models set.

Tamiya includes some nylon mesh in the kit for the grilles, together with patterns for them in the instructions. The advantages of the kit mesh over PE are that the mesh can easily be glued in place with liquid plastic cement, and it is already black- so you never have to worry about paint chipping off and revealing bright shiny metal where it should not be.

Tamiya's 360 and C GT are both great kits. Their Enzo kit is without any doubt superior. Get it, study it, and plan it. And enjoy it!

xerox3
11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I built the Fujimi kit with the full engine from the Tamiya kit.I also had photoetch kits for both kits.Both kits are very close and all the screens will fit execpt the area around the rear glass.This area is a very different size and shape on both kits.Send me a message offline I have plenty of spare parts I could send you. HTH Markhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/xerox3/IMG_4585.jpg

ChillyB
11-13-2009, 07:23 AM
I built the Fujimi kit with the full engine from the Tamiya kit.I also had photoetch kits for both kits.Both kits are very close and all the screens will fit execpt the area around the rear glass.This area is a very different size and shape on both kits.Send me a message offline I have plenty of spare parts I could send you. HTH Mark

Mark, thank you very much for your response and your generous offer. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for; that is, personal experience with these specific kits and photoetch sets.

And I bet your Enzo looks great!

Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!