Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 malibu 3.1 not starting

evoeric
11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
i have a 99 malibu and the theft light has been on the dash for a long time.But every now and then it will not start untill you wait 10 mins,then it does.I was reading how to bypass the passlock thing on these cars and before i could the car will not start at all now.I thought it was the fuel pump but when you turn the key on it prims and everything.I can sit there and crack the car over forever but now it wont start.So i disconected the battery and did the 11 mins on then turn key off and 11 mins on.Then tried to start it and now it just clicks but does not turn over just woundering if anyone knows what i should do at this point.The car is a winter beater so i dont wana put alot of money into it just would like it to start thank you for your help.

MT-2500
11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
The security system will let it start and run a few seconds and then shut it down.
Does it sart a few seconds and than die?

The relearn procedure is key on for 10 minutes untill light go out and the key off and than on for another 10 minutes untill light out and repeat key off and then on for another 10 minutes untill light of then off and then see if it will start.

There is a big post someplace on here on bypassing the system.

But first make sure it is the security system shutting it down after a start and die in a few seconds.

MT-2500
11-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Drop down 12 or more post.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=454520

evoeric
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
ok i got it start then cut the yellow wire now its all good for now thank you guys.

MT-2500
11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
ok i got it start then cut the yellow wire now its all good for now thank you guys.

You are welcome.
Thanks for posting back how it went and the fix.
Good Luck

AT86
04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I had the same damn problem with my Malibu, mine is a 98' though.

The theft system kept cutting my car off, thinking i was stealing my own car, and the time went from waiting 10 min to sometimes waiting 25 min to start the car again.

So i replaced the ignition lock cylinder. It solved my theft system problem, the light isnt on anymore and my car doesnt surprise me by making me wait again.

They said its because of the chip on the inside of the ignition, it wanst recognizing my key anymore. It's been good for months now. Goodluck!

2000buLS
05-15-2010, 09:41 AM
i was having sort of the same problem... even tho the fuel pump is click in it can still be bad, mine was.

Ended up being the crank sensor going.

Add your comment to this topic!