Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subwoofers Smell Wierd

shordmcman
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I have a Chevy Silverado Extended Cab Year 2001. In the backseat i have a Custom Made box that fits perfectly under my seat. It can fit 2 12's in it and my Amp is Fastened to the top of it. I previously had 2 12 inch MTX Jackhammer's in with no problems but i wanted a cleaner sounding bass. My friend sold me 2 12' inch Pioneer Shallow Mount Premier's. 400 Watts Nominal Power. My Amp is a Kicker 08ZX400.1 pushes 200 Watts RMS x 1 at 4 Ohms (400 Watts x 1 at 2 Ohms). I Installed the Subs no problems and i started driving and within minutes smelled a funky smell kind of tangy ish if that makes sense. The Subs are relatively new to my knowledge my friend has the same exact truck. ( I took his Box and Now the Subs that were in it the Pioneers.) He said he had that setup for like a month but i dont know what kind of amp he had. Ive heard that it could be the Excess Glue burning off but i doubt that. I Turned the bass boost all the way down i dont know what to do. I dont know much at all about Subwoofers and the way they work. Any Help would be appreciated thanks!!

PaulD
10-30-2009, 06:01 PM
The box is probably way to big for the shallow mount subs. Sometimes when you overwork a sub the excess glue can burn off - really hard to tell if you damaged them or not.

Add your comment to this topic!