Transmission drain & fill. 2008 GLS AWD, 2.7L

rodeo02
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
This is the F4A51-3 4spd trans, in an '08 Santa Fe. This AT has been around for a long time and has also been used in various Chrysler and Mitsubishi vehicles and has been updated over the years. Hyundai Specs SP-III ATF only, but any ATF that specs "suitable for use where Hyundai SP-III" works flawlessly in these units, probably better than Hyundai SP-III in many cases. I used Valvoline Maxlife in mine. The only minor transmission servicing difference between the 2006 and under and 2007+ is the 2007+ drain plug accessibility. On the 2007+, the sub-frame is in a location such that the AT drain plug is tucked above the frame rail. It's positioned such that you cannot get a normal wrench or socket over the hex head plug. My pics look like there's a lot of room, but it's almost inaccessible as is. My solution was to remove one of the aluminum 'anti-tamper' tabs from around the drain plug. This gives you enough access to use an adjustable wrench if you choose. This SF had it's first ATF drain/fill at ~40500mi.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/005.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/002-1.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/004.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/032.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/033.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/035.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/031-1.jpg

2000izusu
10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
looks like the fluid was more than done for! good job on problem solving the tab, to get to the drain plug! mike

rodeo02
10-31-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks Mike. Yeah, that factory SP-III was pretty nasty looking. I just bought the SF in Sept. w/ 40Kmi on it. It saw rental service for it's first 20Kmi, so I've been careful to go through everything I can on it. I did 2 5qt drain/fills on the trans. It's still not red like right out of the bottle, but $50 worth of Valvoline Maxlife ATF was enough for me for now! I would say one drain/fill per year is a good measure for these babies.

Joel

2000izusu
10-31-2009, 07:03 AM
It's still not red like right out of the bottle, but $50 worth of Valvoline Maxlife ATF was enough for me for now! I would say one drain/fill per year is a good measure for these babies.

Joelwell i worked out the math on mine (for how much percentages get changed out on multiple change outs) it goes like this:

the f4a51 has 8.3 quarts total according to amsoils web site. so i get 4.2 quarts out on a drain and fill (i don't know why you got 5 quarts unless yours was over full?:screwy::confused:)

but 4.2 divided by 8.3 gives you 50.6% of the fluid out on one drain and fill.

2nd drain gives you 75% new fluid and 25% old
3rd drain gives you 87.5% new fluid and 12.5% old
4th drain gives you 93.75% new fluid and 6.25% old
5th drain gives you 96.875% new fluid and 3.125% old
6th drain gives you 98.437% new fluid and 1.562% old
7th drain gives you 99.218% new fluid and .781% old

keep in mind spIII falls into the atf category of what they call a fluid with high content of friction modifiers. this is one of the only changes that makes it differ from merc/dex 3.

so that means any multi vehicle atf will work in the f4a51, be cause multi vehicle atf is code in atf indusdry as having high content of friction modifiers that spIII,z1,t iv, mazda mv, atf+3,4 and some others need!

what i am getting at is castrol import for 3.50 should work just as good as 5 dollar maxlife. just keep in mind that maxlife is full synthetic and most othe multi vehicle atfs are semi synthetic. so maxlife would appear to be an upgrade. mike

i have got a cherokee that i am on drain and fill #7 over 4 years. so over the 4 years i have 99% new atf in it. not bad especially when merc/dex 3 is 2.67 a quart where i pick it up! but that is the price of a conventional (dino) atf. mike

rodeo02
10-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Mike, for what ever reason, Castrol multi-vehicle ATF is almost non-existent in my area. If fact, the only ATF avail at my local Walmart is 3 types of Supertech; Type F, Dex/Merc and ATF+4. I was real tempted to use their ATF+4 @ ~$3.79/qt but chickened out. I like to shop my local Napa or Carquest and they've usually got a decent supply of Maxlife on hand. I'm exaggerating a bit on the price, it was around $4.79/qt. My F4A51-3 specs just under 9qts (8.98). The pic below shows an oversized 5qt plastic jug w/ the used SP-III in it (a 'bonus' sized Rain-X washer fluid jug). It was just shy of 5qts per drain/fill for mine.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/032-1.jpg

Joel

2000izusu
11-01-2009, 06:35 AM
wow i just looked on amsoil's web site and the 2004 and the 2008 santa fe have a different capacity specs.
2004 is 8.3 quarts
2008 is 9 quarts
now we know why hyundai left the trans cooler off in 2008 (more capacity). mike

rodeo02
11-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I'd rather have an aux. cooler, but per Hyundai, they increased the size of the radiator for 2007+. The 5spd A5HF1 coupled to the 3.3L holds 11.51qts and I believe has an aux cooler. For those interested, the 3.3L/5spd AT drain/fill procedure is basically the same aside from the need for more qts of ATF.

Joel

James51
03-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Just got done doing a drain and refill on my wife's 08 Santa Fe 2.7 A/T 4 speed with 30k miles.

Used genuine Kia SP lll ($5.50/qt). Got 4.5 qts out of it just from pulling the drain plug, it holds 9 qts. Will do it again in 2-3 weeks, she travels 50 mi. a day.

Thought I saw cooler lines while I was under there? Not worried about doing a full flush anyway. After my 2nd flush in a few weeks I will start a 1 qt. drain every other month to keep it fresh ( NEON RED). Just to make the dealer wonder???

Then I will start on my 08 Elantra . . . good little car. 40 mpg.

Put Fumoto drain valves on both oil pans and might? do the tranny's.

I have new Denso Iridium Long Life plugs comming for both cars.

Wish I had access to the Hyundai Factory Part Numbers. I'd hate to mess up when it comes to timing belt, idlers, tensioners, pulleys, water pump, brake parts etc.

Tip: Stay away from FRAM OIL FILTERS / Read: bobistheoilguy.com

DSHornet
03-20-2011, 07:55 PM
There has been a lot said about using Hyundai/Kia SPIII transmission fluid in our cars. Some say that it's okay to use something else as long as it answers Hyundai specs AND it's replaced in a full flush and refill so there is no mixing of possibly incompatible fluids. That may be true, but I'm of the opinion that the factory stuff is best because that's what the people who made our cars put in there.

I did a pan drain and refill with slightly over 4.5 quarts in my '01 Santa Fe last summer and it made a surprising improvement in shift quality. I think that routinely doing this every year or two after about 80-100,000 miles is a good way to keep the fluid renewed with minimum work and expense.

2000izusu
03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
i agree with changing atf early and often!

rodeo02
03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
There has been a lot said about using Hyundai/Kia SPIII transmission fluid in our cars. Some say that it's okay to use something else as long as it answers Hyundai specs AND it's replaced in a full flush and refill so there is no mixing of possibly incompatible fluids..

I can attest that mixing Valvoline Maxlife ATF with Hyundai SP-III lead to no ill effects for me (or countless others that I've read about). Doing the drain/fill routine that I did was nothing more than mixing. I've also done one more drain/fill cycle over the past year and a half. I'm currently at ~64Kmi. I did the first Valvoline Maxlife ATF drain/fill at 40500mi. This is one of the most tolerable automatics I've owned.

I never try to talk someone out of running genuine Hyundai/Kia SP-III if that's what they're comfortable with. The only thing that lights me off is when people say you HAVE to use it. That's complete nonsense.

There's no way a corporation like Valvoline (and others) would assume the risk of specifying "Suitable for SP-III use" if it wasn't.

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!