Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hasegawa 944 kits

88Porsche944
10-30-2009, 12:13 AM
I've never built one,
so, I'd like to hear some thoughts on Hasegawa kits. Please post pros and cons of the kits.(fitment, quality, price...) I'm looking at a Porsche 944 turbo.

Thanks,
Trevor

klutz_100
10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
I have only built one Hasegawa kit - the recently released 250TR - and I can't praise it enough. Fit, detail and quality of casting all first class. How representative is that of older Hasegawa kits? I don't know but I suspect not very.

I have some Hasegawa kits in my unbuilt stash and my impression from inspecting the sprues is definitely overall positive.

As a best guess, I would say that their kits are at about the same level as Fujimi and Revell overall (on their better to good days).

I also suspect that, as with most manufacturers, it also varies from kit to kit...

BTW severel Revell (ROG) kits are in fact re-boxed Hasegawa kits eg lancia O37

gionc
10-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Speaking of Hasegawa kits in the automotive side it's strange.

Hase is well recognized in the aircraft modeling market as the best manufacturer: probably the very first that switched and invested on cad/cam tech and knowledge, simply they do gems, well detailed and engineered.

Looks like the auto team is a whole different thing: yes you see the same care speaking of engineering, molds are quite sharp and neat but often you'll notice a lack of "enthusiasm" or passion..

For example Gr. C racers by Hasegawa has a convincing body design but not much details.....

If you meant something precise, shot.

MPWR
10-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey Trevor-

The Hase 944 is a good kit, I'm sure you'll like it. I haven't built mine yet so I can't say much about the fit, but I'm not worried. The detail is good and it's full engine.

Mine is the Revell rebox, which is much easier to find. The only real advantage of the Hasegawa boxing is that the instructions are better.

drunken monkey
10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I've only got a few Hasegawa kits:
Ferrari 328, 348 (various)
Jaguar XJS TWR
Porsche 944 Turbo
Lancia Stratos.

All are fine examples of kits and are all, with the exception of the Lancia, engined which is a plus and a bit of a rarity these days.
Parts fit seems to have very little tolerance designed into them though and can be infuriating as a result.

MarcoSaupe
10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
The old Group C kits are OK, but nothing special, no engine and simplified suspension, the Tamiyas of that time are way better.
The new 312T2 F1 kit however may be the best 1/20 F1 plastic kit.

935k3
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I have built the Hasegawa 944. It is a nice kit that fits well and is detailed nicely. Also it has pre-cut carpeting material for the interior that looks good and fits well, I think the material is white so it can be painted. The kit is molded in white and has the wheels and some other parts in satin chrome.

88Porsche944
10-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks all,
Much appreciated.

Trevor

Foxerjr
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I have to repeat what others have said. The Hasa 944 kits are well done with very good castings. The body is done especially well. I build a Testors 944 and this was pale in comparison to the Hasa kit. There are variations, but are pretty much the same. Differences are in the wheels and some minor racing parts as far as I know, but I haven't seen every one to compare.

The Hasa 944 I have is still on the workbench, being converted to the '91 normally aspirated S2 I owned. The Hasa kit shines when compared to the 3 944's I have owned.

rumpeli
11-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Dear all,
I have found you on my google search for a Hasegawa Porsche 944 turbo modell kit that I just recently bought. This will be my first built, I own the real car where repair is much more expensive. Unfortunately my kit is not complete, one page of the description (engine) and decals are missing. It would be great if you still have the description and could email or fax this to me.

Cheers
rumpeli

Foxerjr
11-09-2010, 07:17 AM
I'll find the instruction sheet and scan it.

Foxerjr
11-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I searched high and low and was unable to locate the 944 instruction sheet. :(

The Hasegawa 968 kits were made from the 944 and are almost identical, at least in parts count and breakdown. The engine is updated but has the same basic pieces. Here's a link to some online instructions (http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/hasegawa/hasegawa-porsche-97/)for the 968 and it may help.

rumpeli
11-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Hey Foerjr,

thanks for your link, this will help me a lot!

rumpeli

Add your comment to this topic!