Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 PA rear window defogger problem?

TerryWalter
10-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello,
I'm having a problem with the rear defogger of my 95 PA. The switch seems to work on my dash and I even used the volt meter at the rear window and seem to get voltage there. I find that I have about 14 volts on the passenger side of the rear window and about 12.4 volts on the drivers side of rear window.

But in the mornings or any other time that the window is fogged up and I hit the switch I don't see the lines de-fogging my window. I have read many posts here trying to find the problem but mine doesn't seem to fit any that I have read. What am I missing, is the window itself bad, why would I find voltage at the back window at all?

Please set me straight, Thanks,
Terry

ZiggyPA
10-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Did you also test if it has a ground signal?

TerryWalter
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
No, that I did not do mainly because I do not know how. If you could explain it to me then I can try it.

But to tell more about what I did was, I used the volt meter and on the passenger side had one lead on the wire attaching to the window and the other lead grounded out to metal on the auto body. I did this for each side of the back window to determine how much voltage there was.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Terry

ZiggyPA
10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I would check all the lines on the window to see if they are broken.
If nothing is broken I think the problem is the ground terminal.

TerryWalter
10-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I will recheck the window but it seems to me that the lines are embedded into the window but I will make sure.

Is there a way I can check the ground terminal and where it is located.

Thanks,
Terry

ZiggyPA
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, at least on my 91 PA they are painted on the window. If they are broken you can repair them with a special type of "paint". If the lines are really embedded in the window I think they would be of the "invisible" type, and these can not be repaired.
The ground terminal should be on the drivers side of the window.

TerryWalter
10-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info and I will check out the lines in my window and the ground terminal also. I will probably do this tomorrow as it being Halloween we have a busy day with the kids.

I will post what I find later.

Terry

TerryWalter
11-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi ZiggyPA,

Just got done checking the RWD and there is not seperate ground coming from the window grid to the frame. If anyone has a wiring diagram for the RWD that may help me.

I also tried to check the individual lines in the window (yes, you are right they are the painted kind) and as far as I could tell they seems to be ok.

Like I had mentioned it isn't like 1 or 4 of the lines stopped working the whole thing does not work at all but I still have power to both sides of the window. I also looked closer and see that the wires seem to be soldered on. I'm at a lose as to what to do or look at next, any suggestions?

I appreciate all the help,
Terry:runaround:

ZiggyPA
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I checked the Haynes for you but it hasn't a wiring diagram for the RWD.
But still, it must have a ground somewhere. Have you removed the quarter trim panel on the drivers side? It seems to me that the problem is a bad ground.

TerryWalter
11-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I have both sides removed so I have clear access to the window. It seems like the braided line that is on each side of the window and the lines come from and go across just goes up and down but no where is there a ground wire going to the frame or other type of grounding. I did see a copper ground strap for the power antenna when I was looking around from the trunk. I can take a couple of photos tomorrow and post them here for everyone to see. But like I said I'm at a loss for ideas.

Terry

ZiggyPA
11-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Maybe it is on the underside or top of the window? Haynes also mentions a ground wire, but not its exact location.

Add your comment to this topic!