Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

p0741 and p0742!!!

JTDT1
10-29-2009, 09:48 AM
I have a 2001 impala police package with the 3800 engine and 4t65e tranny it has about 120,000 miles on it.
The transmission is not going into gear. Start the car and the transmission goes into forward and reverse fine but after 1 minute it's like it's in neutral or slipping very badly. Turn the car off and then back on and it's goes fine for about a minute then you get the same results. It doesn't seem to matter if you sit for the minute or drive for that minute. There is a whining noise coming from the transmission, it's more pronounced in gear then in park. The trouble codes where p0741 and p0742, not sure how the tcc can be stuck on and off? I cleared the codes and drove it about a mile and the p0742 code came back. The fluid is full but does smell a little burned, I'm thinking that was from trying to get it home. I checked the fluid just last week and it was fine. Yesterday I cleared the codes again and disconnected the battery for 24 hours. it will now go longer then 1 minute maybe 5 to 10 minutes now, but still losing the gears and now it's slipping between shifts. the p0742 code came back too. I did feel the torque converter locking just a little bit at low speeds today where as I didn't before the battery disconnect. I'm not really sure what to do? Any ideas?

maxwedge
10-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Welcome to AF, I would say this unit is done, you could get it scanned at a trans shop, they can tell whether the solenoids are the issue and can check other parameters, but you can be pretty sure it will have to come apart.

Add your comment to this topic!