Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Cavalier- Stalling Problem

mdogg311
10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi,

So I have been having problem with my car for the past year or so. I have a 1997 Chevy cavalier 2.2, 4 cyl, with about 85,000 miles on it. My car seem to stall out when it has to idle and sit in traffic or at red lights. As long as I am accelerating it run fine. I have found that it does it after the engine is warm (it seems worse in hot weather). Here is a list of what I have changed so far: O2 Sensor (before Cat), PCV Valve, Spark Plugs, ECT Sensor, TPS senosr, Air Charge Sensor, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, and EGR Valve. I pulled the codes about 3 weeks ago and had: P0171, P0121 (TPS), P0335 (CKS), P0404 and P0405 (although P0405 came up after I unplugged the EGR valve because it seemed to run better unplugged). I just changed the EGR Valve and ran the codes again last night and got P0171 and P1404. I have read that sometimes the PCM has to relearn the EGR after it is replaced to get rid of P1404 code. can this be done without going to a dealership. Also, i was thinking that maybe my coils might be going bad. I just changed the TPS and read that the coils being bad and even the crankshaft sensor being bad could cause this code to come up again. Should I change the coils and the crankshaft sensor? Any other ideas what could be wrong? Also I have checked several times for leaks and have found none. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Some additional info: When the car stalls out, it will not start again until the engine cools down, usually 30-60 minutes. I really have no clue what else could be wrong with it. Please help.

J-Ri
11-01-2009, 01:20 PM
The PCM doesn't have to relearn anything to clear any code.

For the stalling, it sounds like the ignition module is bad, it's common for them to heat up and short out. Some had problems with coils too. Test module/coils and replace any that are bad.

mdogg311
01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
I still have not been able to get the ignition module and coils off to check them. I know I am a slacker, but i do not have a garage to work in and winters in Pittsburgh are cold. I noticed something else about the stalling. It seems that after it warms up when the problems occur, if i shut off the engine then start it back up, before it has a chance to fully cool down, the stalling is worse. Does this still sound like the ignition module or coils? Im going to try and test the module as soon as possible and let you now the outcome. Thanks for any help

J-Ri
01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Still just guessing, but it does sound like an ignition module, when they get really bad they will not let the engine restart until they cool off.

And I was mistaken in my last post, I've learned since then :). The p1404 may have to be relearned... it's either that or a p1406, I fought one for 3 days, you'd think I'd remember the code :). If it's EGR range/performance, then do this: Unplug the EGR valve electrical connector, turn the key on, clear the codes, turn the key off as soon as the scan tool confirms the codes have been cleared, plug in the EGR valve and start the car, the code should be gone.

mdogg311
01-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks J Ri. I did get the code off. It actually just went off on its own so it might be the P1406 that needs to be relearned. Once i get the module tested I'll let you know the results.

Add your comment to this topic!