Aoshima Kawasaki 900Z1

10-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Let's introduce my next project, which I've been working on for a few days. This is Aoshima's Kawasaki 900Z1, my first experience with Aoshima, and I must admit, that the quality of (at least the elder kits) these is not compatible with Tamiya's. Lots of puttying, and very noticeable errors on the appearance of the model.
Not much done, just assembled the main parts of the engine, primed the larger parts and painted the green parts with Zero paints Kaw16B, which is *supposed* to be the green of 900Z1. Unfortunately this is my first disappointment with Zero paints, the color is not even from the same planet I imagined.
Here are the pictures.

The engine assembled, note the huge step on the cooling fins, on both sides of engine.

Primed with red, still some errors on the cooling fins.

Fuel tank and the rear cowl painted green, missing clear and decals.

Comments, as usual, are welcome!

10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Dude, this is going to be awesome! don't worry about Aoshima, I'm a huge fan, as they have a great range of cool bikes! The slight difference of quality is worth it.

Keep it up, looking forward to see progress!

10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
will follow this..
sure turn out great..

what was the error on the cooling fins?

i agree on quality of Aoshima older kits, but as seventyseven said, they did produce a great range of cool bikes... so, no prob. for me..

11-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice start, IŽll follow this

11-02-2009, 01:19 PM
what was the error on the cooling fins?

Problem is, that the cylinder block is made out of four parts, and there was quite a huge step with them. Lots of sanding and opening with an etched saw afterwards the bottoms of the fins.

Small progress here. Toned the green parts a bit towards yellow with colorless basecoat mixed with greenish gold. Not a great difference, and not near the true color. Laid the first coat of 2K clear over the painted parts, now waiting for decals.

11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
This bike is coming really nice!

I like that colour.

Looking forward for the next update.

11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Looking forward for the next update.

Here is to you, Roca! A quick update after the decal job, just before clear coating. Currently the parts a curing after the (hopefully) final clear coat. Have to get back to the engine!

11-05-2009, 11:34 AM

The combination of the green with that yellow decals are perfect!! I couldn't find any other colour to fit that green.


Keep on working! :wink:


11-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Slow progress with the engine. Painted the engine block with Alclad aluminium. De-chromed all the side covers and carburettors, then primed with Tamiya sme-gloss black. Painted all the side covers with polished aluminium and the starter cpver with chrome.
The carburettors were painted with magnesium, the bowls with polished aluminium and the tops with chrome.
Still have to pick up the "DOHC" badges with silver and some bits of the carburettors with brass.

11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Coming really nice! I like those colours!
Any updates?

12-15-2009, 03:54 AM
-I love this Kawasaki. I have one mounted and two to assemble. I can appreciate. I will follow to the end.:smile:

01-22-2018, 09:43 AM
OK, folks. Time to dig a thread that was started over eight years ago! Lost my motivation, when I should have started the assembly of the spoke wheels. But now, when I noticed that Hasegawa has made a Suzuki GT380, which is a must to have for me, it was time to start to practice making of the wheels.

This is about where the kit was left, wheels de-chromed, and now I cut 2cm pieces from the B-string of my guitar, and started making some spokes.
At the same time I cut the spokes off the rim and hub and painted them with AK Xtreme Metal.

And then assembling it all together. I started with four extra-long spoke, just to keep everything together, and then installed all the others to one side, and glued them to the hub.

And when one side was ready, I turned it over, and made the other side.

Sounds easy, but actually that took several hours!

Now I have to do the same modification to the front wheel. Let's hope that it will not take another eight years!

02-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Surprise! It didn't take another eight years, just a couple of weeks. Now I have two wheels, tires on, and test-fitting the swing arm. Looks to be OK.

02-06-2018, 01:55 AM
The Aoshima's Kawasaki 900Z1, my first experience with Aoshima, and I must admit, that the quality of (at least the elder kits) these is not compatible with Tamiya's. Lots of puttying, and very noticeable errors on the appearance of the model.

02-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Agreed, but it is better to have a poor kit than no kit at all!

02-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Slow progress. Dry fitting the rear wheel and swing arm to the frame. Noticed that it is not good to keep a model in box for eight years. Left side bolt for chain adjustment had broken, so had to replace it with a new. Also noticed that the reaction bar for the rear brake is missing, either I have lost it, or it has been missing from the beginning. Fortunately, it is just a plain bar, so easy to fix. Now I have been painting the unstripped chrome parts with Alclad, hope to show some results in near future.

02-10-2018, 12:15 PM
When I grow up, I'll be a Superbike!

02-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Getting there, already on two wheels!

02-14-2018, 01:43 PM
All the parts are now painted, but quite a few still need to be glued on.

02-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Continuing my monologue :) Next one will be in completed -section.

02-16-2018, 08:21 AM
This is one of those rare model builds where the fact that this is a model is very difficult to discern. Even the metalflake in the paint seems in proportion.

Good job!

02-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Nice one..
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: it really takes you 8 years to revisit this.. but overall i can say very satisfying

03-26-2018, 09:59 PM
fantastic build. thanks for sharing.

Add your comment to this topic!