2001 Dash lights not working

bheston
10-28-2009, 07:58 AM
The dash lights in my 2001 Impala have quit working. No lights for spedometer, gas gauge, etc in the dash, also the climate control lights went out at the same time. For a short time this problem was intermittent and all lights would go in/out at once. Even when the dash lights are out, my cruise control light does come on.

I read some previous posts and a few guys suggested new headlight switch, do you think that could cause this problem? Can I test that with a test light or multi-meter before replacing the switch? Anything else to look at?

Thanks for the help guys!

j cAT
10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
The dash lights in my 2001 Impala have quit working. No lights for spedometer, gas gauge, etc in the dash, also the climate control lights went out at the same time. For a short time this problem was intermittent and all lights would go in/out at once. Even when the dash lights are out, my cruise control light does come on.

I read some previous posts and a few guys suggested new headlight switch, do you think that could cause this problem? Can I test that with a test light or multi-meter before replacing the switch? Anything else to look at?

Thanks for the help guys!

the dimmer is normally part of the headlight switch...since it was intermitent it is usually the cause ...check fuses first then confirm with a meter..if you know what your doing you could use an external resistor of the proper wattage/resistance to save a few bucks on a new switch.

ArthurRoberts
02-20-2010, 09:59 PM
I have the same problem, no cluster lights, But when it is daytime my radio lights work at night they don't, as with the lights to show what gear im in they work at daytime at night they don't.
Can anyone help me with this or give me some tips on what to do.
Thanks very much...
Ps. They do work at first startup and then go dim right after.

bheston
02-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I apparently forgot to post back on my resoution. I did replace the headlight switch and it fixed the problem. It sounds like you may have the same problem. To double check the obvious, if you have the pull out knob for headlights, it isn't turned full one direction which turns down the dimmer is it? If not the dimmer that is build into the headlight switch coulb have gone bad, whenever your headlights come on the dimmer takes over and sets the brightness of dash and radio lights, if yours is bad that could be why everything turns off. They could be on during the day and when you first turn the car on because your auto headlights have not come on at those times. I bought a switch at a salvage yard and it worked great.

j cAT
02-21-2010, 09:32 AM
I have the same problem, no cluster lights, But when it is daytime my radio lights work at night they don't, as with the lights to show what gear im in they work at daytime at night they don't.
Can anyone help me with this or give me some tips on what to do.
Thanks very much...
Ps. They do work at first startup and then go dim right after.

follow the troubleshooting instructions I gave the prior forum member then post results..

also whenever you have qestions about a vehicle it helps to know the vehicle details...

ArthurRoberts
02-21-2010, 09:40 AM
I have followed troubleshooting the dimmer was the problem, Thanks.

ArthurRoberts
02-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the help it saved me alot of time.

j cAT
02-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the help it saved me alot of time.

that was pretty quick ..good luck..

ArthurRoberts
02-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Yah soon as i seen this i went to work on it and that was it.

SwitchFactory
02-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Careful when buying the Headlight Switch several makes of have multiple switches.The Impala for instance using an Airtex switch has one switch without foglamps (1S1971) and another with foglamps (1S1972)..AC Delco D1599F SWITCH,HDLP & INSTRUMENT PANEL LAMP DIMR(W/HSG) W/INSTRUMENT LIGHTING SHUTOFF SWITCH(WU1) and D1598F SWITCH,HDLP & INSTRUMENT PANEL LAMP DIMR(W/HSG) W/O INSTRUMENT LIGHTING SHUTOFF SWITCH(WU1)

momfaith
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a 2001 Chev Impala with 52,000 miles .
The gearshift lights are not working. They do not lite up.
The other lights on this dashboard panel light up .
I had the battery replaced and the operating system checked .
The operating system is fine.

The new battery actually made the gear shift lights work(lite up) for
the next 7 days. After this, the gear shift lights did not work.
It was back to the way it was before I replaced the battery.
What is your opinion?

Add your comment to this topic!