Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clear Coat

Drift F.C
10-28-2009, 03:18 AM
I bought a Tamiya Spray Can of Clear. Got home and sprayed it on my latest project. I let it dry and when I came back, the clear coat had made all the paint leak.:banghead:

I didn't know what the problem was, can you help me???

gtziaf
10-28-2009, 03:26 AM
What basecoat paint are you use?
Any photos?
Sorry for your bad luck...

Khier
10-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Sounds like you sprayed over Tamiya acrylic, right? I had a similar experience with clear paint from the hardware store. Tamiya, or perhaps all acrylics, do not stand whatever in the spray cans. Only good old hobby enamil paint (Humbrol, Revell, Testors,...) accept these paints.

klutz_100
10-28-2009, 07:29 AM
TS-13 strikes again?! :D

Either:
a) you put the clear over an incompatible base coat paint (as suggested above); or

b) you sprayed too thick a coat of this evil stuff and it burnt your base coat (which it can do even to "compatible" paints)

Drift F.C
10-29-2009, 02:43 AM
I managed to save the paintjob after all. I just painted the green back over the clear!!!

It still gets its shin anyway.

I used Aquieous Hobby Colour. I thought that it would work because the paint is the same as the Tamiya Acrylic. Thanks for the help, I have only been modelling for about a year full time and this is the first time I have used clear coat!!!

Thanks again, I know not to paint Clear of Acrylic again!!!

klutz_100
10-29-2009, 02:51 AM
Glad to hear you are happy with your save :thumbsup:

However, bear in mind everything that was said above and here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=969067). Using clear coats successfully is not solely a simple question of paint compatibility. Specific features of individual brands of clear coats, your application styles/techniques and ambient temperatures/humidity are also huuuuuuugely important.

Do some browsing/seraching around AF and you will find a wealth of useful (and contradictory :) ) information.

:thumbsup:

Lownslow
10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
had that happen too
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/Lownslow302/48edcebc.jpg
then i switched to urethanes :nutkick: Ts13
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/Lownslow302/5c70a276.jpg

Didymus
10-30-2009, 01:30 AM
I'm soooo confused, but that is not unusual.

Leak? The clear coat made the paint leak? :confused: Out of what? There's something I'm not getting here.

IF you're saying that the Tamiya TS-13 made your acrylic paint bubble or ripple or something like that, then the posters are right: Tamiya TS-13 Clear Coat, aka "evil stuff," is not compatible with acrylic paint. But if that is what happened, I can't see how you could possibly get a good result by painting over the mess with a coat of acrylic paint.

So I'm still confused.

(Unlike some people, :wink: I don't have a problem with TS-13, except for its exorbitant cost. But I start with thin, dry coats, and get wetter as I go.)

klutz_100
10-30-2009, 02:10 AM
:nutkick: Ts13
Yay!! :D

BTW, I love that smiley! Expect to see it on here more often ;) :D

Drift F.C
10-30-2009, 04:04 AM
Didymus Said -

IF you're saying that the Tamiya TS-13 made your acrylic paint bubble or ripple or something like that, then the posters are right: Tamiya TS-13 Clear Coat, aka "evil stuff," is not compatible with acrylic paint. But if that is what happened, I can't see how you could possibly get a good result by painting over the mess with a coat of acrylic paint.

I had the green acrylic running of the car on to my booth and after the clear was set, the car was nearly set hard to the box. I got my paint out and thought I could save it. I just started painting the green in a pretty thick coat over the side panels and it just looked like it would've if it didn't run. It still gets its shin!!!

Does that answer your question!!!

Didymus
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I had the green acrylic running of the car on to my booth and after the clear was set, the car was nearly set hard to the box. I got my paint out and thought I could save it. I just started painting the green in a pretty thick coat over the side panels and it just looked like it would've if it didn't run. It still gets its shin!!!

Does that answer your question!!!

Kinda. :shakehead

Anyhow, glad you were able to fix that leak! :bananasmi

Ddms

Add your comment to this topic!