How to clean engine coolant reservoir?

Black_Blade
10-26-2009, 09:54 PM
My engine coolant reservoir is pretty grudged up inside, making it difficult to see what the level is. Is there a solution that can be used to clean the tank up again?

serge_saati
10-26-2009, 11:41 PM
First of all, clean the exterior of the tank with dish soap, water and a cloth. It'll help a lot.

*If it's still dark,pump the coolant up of the tank with a fluid suction pump or a pipette.
*Disconnect the hose (it'll leak), install a draining hose instead.
*Fill the tank with dish soap and water until it cleans up.
*Rinse it with water.
*Connect the coolant hose back.
*Place the coolant back in the tank.

Black_Blade
10-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the reply Serge...I thought it would take some special kind of chemical cleaner to get the staining off the inside of the plastic container. Next nice day will give your recommend a try, thank you!

12Ounce
10-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I agree with serge's posting. I would further add ...

Plan to get wet! Remove the reservoir. Plug the holes as best you can ... and half-fill with water and soap solution. Add a handful of sand. Shake energetically 'til stuff is removed from reservoir walls ... Flush reservoir thoroughly with garden hose. Reinstall.

Of course, there is no substitute for a new reservoir because the plastic reservoir material discolors overtime ... that's my personal choice once I have all the oil-to-coolant leak issues corrected.

Add your comment to this topic!