Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Light Indicator Stays on.

1996GMCJimmy
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Hello,
The Brake Light indicator on my instrument panel all of the sudden came on and will not go off. At first, I thought I had not pulled completely off the brake but that does not seem to be a problem. The light suddenly came on after drivign for a couple fo miles this morning. The brakes seem to work fine. Have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. Only the red Brake light is on, not the ABS.

I chekd the fluid and fuse. Is there another bulb or fuse besedes the one on the side of the dash? Any advice would help. Thanks.

1996 GMC Jimmy
2WD

wafrederick
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Another thing to check is the brake booster,it could be bad.

1996GMCJimmy
10-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Where is the break booster located? Thanks.

1996GMCJimmy
10-27-2009, 09:34 AM
The brakes work fine. I have not noticed anything different when braking/stopping. The booster and master cylinder do not seems to have any leaks.

b1lk1
10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Try pushing the pedal with both feet as hard as you can and see if the pedal keeps going to the floor. Be warned, if you have a weak brake line, wheel cylinder or caliper seal (which can cause this problem you describe) they may well pop.

1996GMCJimmy
10-28-2009, 10:50 AM
UPDATE:

Well, after checking the Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, Brake Fluid, Brake Lines, Brake Light Fuse, etc. My mechanic and I took it out for a drive with the light still on...he said he wanted to "activate the ABS" by going over a bump and braking really quick and activating the ABS braking system (aparently, different that braking at a regular stop light). So we took it over a speed bum and right as we were goign over it hit the brakes, the ABS did its job and cleared the problem!!!!

You know that strange sound the brakes make when you go over a pot hole and you break, eventhouh ist a little too late? Well, thats what did it. The light went off right away and I no longer have the problem. Thanks for all you help though.!!!

Add your comment to this topic!