Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Isuzu Rodeo wont start

shamrock9
10-25-2009, 09:56 PM
my 98 isuzu rodeo will die on me randomly. i replaced the alternater about a month or so ago. i will be driving down the street and then when i am about to come to a stop or about to turn it dies. this doesnt happen every single time, but most of the time. after it does it will sometimes start right back up when i try, but sometimes i will turn the ignition and it will click once then nothing will happen. i can wait about ten minutes or so then i can start it again. i can sit in my driveway after driving down the street and it will die on its own after a couple of minutes of just sitting there. what could be causing this problem?

Cat Fuzz
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Sounds to me like you have two problems. One with the starter and one, possibly, with the throttle body IAC valve. As for the dying, clean the throttle body by removing it and also clean the IAC passage. Carefully remove the IAC valve from the throttle body, taking care not to lose the o-ring. Carefully clean the IAC valve without trying to push on it or turn the pintle. The IAC valve controls idle speed and if it is sticking it can't respond soon enough when coming to a stop to keep the engine running. When you release the throttle, the only way for air to get into the engine is through the IAC valve passage.

Now, the single click when trying to restart is the solenoid contacts in the starter being worn unevenly. This is typical. They way to fix this problem is by replacing the starter or replacing the contacts inside. Replacing the contacts is much cheaper but it's just as much work as replacing the starter.

Add your comment to this topic!