Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Neon backup light fuse blows/AC quits working.

dh271
10-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Weird deal here, the backup light fuse blows on a 1999 Neon and the AC quits blowing cold. I replace the fuse and the AC starts blowing cold, any suggestions? I found out this is the #8 fuse, 10 amp and it controls the rear window heat, fan relay, ac cycling switch and backup lights. Anyone else have the same problem? :banghead:

jason-1995fbody
10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
when dose the fuse blow when you turn a specific accessory on, or when reversing

dh271
10-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Not sure yet, I`m not the one who drives this car. I`m going to spend some time with it in the next couple of days and check it out. Wondering if the fan relay could be screwing up and throwing the fuse.

mopar_rocks
10-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Not sure yet, I`m not the one who drives this car. I`m going to spend some time with it in the next couple of days and check it out. Wondering if the fan relay could be screwing up and throwing the fuse.

That's alot of things being run through a 10 amp fuse. That rear window defroster puts a good amount of draw on the electrical system on it's own let alone having the fan relay being fed off it and the A/C and back up lights!!! That poor little fuse!!! LOL Anyways, It very well could be a shorted relay if it's tied in. Obviously the easiest way to diagnose it is to try all of the above one at a time until the fuse blows. If that doesn't prove successful, try one of the things and then all the others until a combination is reached that make the fuse fail. You mentioned the fan relay being in the mix ... it may be a bad fan itself!! Check the ground wires and clean them up to ensure a good ground as a bad ground will cause many problems including failing fuses. Good luck.

dh271
10-26-2009, 05:58 AM
I don`t understand why they put the a/c switch & rear window heat, fan relay and "backup" lights on that one fuse. I can understand the fan relay and a/c on one fuse, but not the others thrown in.
When I posted this thread, I hadn`t looked at the owners manual, just looked at the fuse access panel and it showed only the backup lights and that`s what confused me about the a/c not working, then I saw the manual on it and found the other stuff. Anyway, I`ll post in the next day or two if I find the problem. My solution would be, "leave keys in, window down and parked on street at night" but then again, I`m not the one driving it. :jerking:

mopar_rocks
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Damn!! Oklahoma is too far for me to "help" you out on this one!! LOL I never thought of that procedure in diagnostics ..... I bet it works good on problematic cars!! LMAO!!

Cobra348
05-26-2010, 08:40 AM
First, you can safely go as high as 20 amp in that fuse socket. Manufacturers rate the sockets at minimum but allow for up to 2 x the amperage.

I have the same issue tho ... but something I learned from a Dodge Dynasty I used to have is this: The connection to the backup switch may get gunk in it. The harness needs to be disconnected and contacts cleaned then reassembled. Usually requires a mechanic because the switch is normally underneath.

I've had this done twice on my 2001 Neon (135600+ miles on it!) and will have it done with the next oil change. Until then I stock lots of 15 amp fuses in the glovebox! <shrug>

Add your comment to this topic!