Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Damn This Weather

fullbloodchop01
04-07-2003, 07:37 PM
DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!!!!
its april 7th, normally it should be getting warmer out and much better modeling (mostly painting) temperatures outside, well its not the case here, the other day it was almost 70' and now 20 something and snowing! when willl this all stop?

whats the ideal temperature that you guys paint your cars at?

TheSyndicate
04-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Temperature doesn't matter to me as much as humidity. I can paint in my garage on most days and its around 50 degrees in there constantly.

supratuner
04-07-2003, 07:41 PM
ive sprayed any where from 30 degrees and snowing ( out side ) to 95 degrees and humid as fuck

latley ive been spraying in my bed room.

but, u can paint any where, any temp, as long as u bring it in side immediatley

grandprix92
04-07-2003, 07:41 PM
i just paint in my bassment. (i call it bassment because i always have the sterio blasting with some new rap mix i burned)

.porkchop.
04-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by fullbloodchop01
DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!!!!
its april 7th, normally it should be getting warmer out and much better modeling (mostly painting) temperatures outside, well its not the case here, the other day it was almost 70' and now 20 something and snowing! when willl this all stop?

whats the ideal temperature that you guys paint your cars at?

Its currently about (minus) --7C degrees here right now, with about 7 inches of frozen ice and snow on the ground!!! so stop complaining! Damn freaky weather, just last week i changed to my summer tires/rims....now my car is stuck in the garage..grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

:rolleyes:

integra818
04-07-2003, 07:58 PM
I noticed something wierd. When I sprayed my silvia, the hood had the sun beaming on it, but the trunk was in the shade (the hood waspointed towards the sun), and the trunk has way more orange peel than the hood. this leads me to beleave the paint MELTS as it dries and leading to less orange peel. Have you guys ever had this happen to you guys?

Also, I think the air of the city/country has a alot to do with it also. Europe's air is very clean and crisp, while L.A has a bit heavy air. If you live in L.A, you won't notice the heavy air, unless you go to Europe! This air might affect the outcome of the paint job, I think....

slim.AP1
04-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by .porkchop.

Its currently about (minus) --7C degrees here right now, with about 7 inches of frozen ice and snow on the ground!!! so stop complaining! Damn freaky weather, just last week i changed to my summer tires/rims....now my car is stuck in the garage..grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

:( Really gay weather here... it's supposed to be friggen spring with flowers blooming!....... I don't really care what the temp is when i paint my models... hence why my models sux

integra818
04-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by slim.AP1

:( Really gay weather here... ...

Yeah, here too, the air outside is such a homo that I'm afraid to leave the house.

:D J/K

grandprix92
04-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by integra818

Yeah, here too, the air outside is such a homo that I'm afraid to leave the house.

:D J/K

lol. just dont wear tight pants and you'll be fine:D

integra818
04-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by grandprix92

lol. just dont wear tight pants and you'll be fine:D

Who says I wear pants??? :hehe:

supratuner
04-07-2003, 08:10 PM
also, id like to add that the best paint job ive ever had was with testors silver, in 33 F , freezing cold, but still the best paint job ive gotten to this day

TheSyndicate
04-07-2003, 08:11 PM
I noticed something wierd. When I sprayed my silvia, the hood had the sun beaming on it, but the trunk was in the shade (the hood waspointed towards the sun), and the trunk has way more orange peel than the hood. this leads me to beleave the paint MELTS as it dries and leading to less orange peel. Have you guys ever had this happen to you guys?

Also, I think the air of the city/country has a alot to do with it also. Europe's air is very clean and crisp, while L.A has a bit heavy air. If you live in L.A, you won't notice the heavy air, unless you go to Europe! This air might affect the outcome of the paint job, I think....

That could be a factor, but orangepeel is usually caused by the distance between the model and the spraycan. As the paint dries while going through the air towards the model, orangepeel is more likely to build.

grandprix92
04-07-2003, 08:12 PM

Who says I wear pants??? :hehe:

LMFAO!!!

ShOrtyOC714
04-07-2003, 08:46 PM
I live in Southern CA. so it has some pretty good temps. down here for painting. most of the time.:)

ChopinPorkChop
04-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by .porkchop.

amen bruther this snow sux but no room in garage to paint for me :(

Lownslow
04-07-2003, 10:10 PM
it was nice a week ago in chicago but no thanks to the canadien wheather system we got stuck with snow which in turnscrewed my building week and now all has to be done on the weekend

Asmenoth
04-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Here in Florida, I just worry about the humidity more than the temp. If I worried about the temp I would go nuts. Down here it can't decide if it's winter, spring or summer. Just as the pool is getting warm enough to swim in last week, we get some freaky cold front and it dips into the 30's-40's Sunday night. Now it's getting hot again...let's see pool is about 80 F , yep...just about time for another cold front...

primera man
04-08-2003, 01:50 AM
I try and do most of my painting on a warm sunny day.
In winter time we have an open fire which i start to warm up the house before painting.
Also i try and warm the body of the model first so that its not cold by leaving it in the sun.

chaos
04-08-2003, 02:56 AM
It getting colder here in Oz. So I'll have to resort to spraying indoors. Wife ain't gonna be too happy - offered to buy her a mask, but.....

nervestrikes
04-08-2003, 09:21 AM
I feel you man cause the weather here is in the thirties. I still paint like some have said, paint quickly and bring it inside immediately. I was hoping to get ready for RC season also.

Integra14
04-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by primera man
I try and do most of my painting on a warm sunny day.
In winter time we have an open fire which i start to warm up the house before painting.
Also i try and warm the body of the model first so that its not cold by leaving it in the sun.

How do u warm up the body??

its been hard for me to paint here too (rochester, NY)... SOO COLD and icey!

Add your comment to this topic!