Questions about my 98' Jimmy vortec v6 4wd

armallard
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Changed front brakes and noticed behind thecalipers that i had some metal rub on my frame looked like it was from a bolt with a nut and rubber bushing but the bushing was about worn out apparently. Looked at the other side and about gone also.What are thse called? And est. cost to fix looks like its hard to get to.
Next the driver side inside part of tire was pretty worn.What could be causing this.... alignment?

Airjer_
10-21-2009, 12:38 AM
are you talking about the stabilizer links?

Tire wear on the inside, check the ball joints! Jack up on the lower control arms, lift up on the tire to check the lowers, pull in and out on the top of the tire to check the uppers.

armallard
10-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Took it to a local tire shop and they replaced something called a tiller arm,aligned it and rotated the tires but the steering wheel is not straight.He told my wife that was common,:runaround: but its going back Monday i didn't go with her to pick it up but going with her in the morning.I haven't drove since my stroke. So my wife is having to take of things right know. Has anyone heard of this tiller arm part?

Airjer_
10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
You have a pitman arm and an idler arm. Both are steering components. The ider is on the passenger side and the pitman is on the drivers side. It is the link between the gearbox and the center link. It is very common for the idler arms to be loose and a fair share of pitman arms get replaced as well.

idler arm
http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/597440.jpg

pitman arm
http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/518320.jpg

armallard
10-25-2009, 08:55 PM
It is on the drivers side i believe the wear on the tire was on the driver's side.I'm still trying to figure out what the other part that has the bushing off of it .I did find out it was a dealer item but forgot to ask what it was called looks like it goes the the lower control arm?

Airjer_
10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what the other part that has the bushing off of it
a bump stop maybe?

armallard
10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
That what it looks like local auto store never called by name just said he couldn't get and it was a dealer item and the only it comes is with is the bolt and bushing . the only # i can make out is basf 50. idk still trying to figure out. Looking And does anybody know what a tiller arm is?

armallard
10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Took it to a local tire shop and they replaced something called a tiller arm,aligned it and rotated the tires but the steering wheel is not straight.He told my wife that was common,:runaround: but its going back Monday i didn't go with her to pick it up but going with her in the morning.I haven't drove since my stroke. So my wife is having to take of things right know. Has anyone heard of this tiller arm part?
They told me they couldn't get the wheel straight because i had some play in my steering box. It was straight before we took it and the only thing was different was the tiller they put on and alignment.:banghead: Any thoughts or did they not do a good job.

Airjer_
10-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I have no idea what a "tiller" is!

Here's what you have for front suspension parts. Inner tie rod, outer tie rod, pitman arm, idler arm, adjusting sleeves, relay rod, upper ball joints, lower ball joints. That's it, NO TILLER WHATEVER! If you curious about what they replaced than you should have had them save the old part. If you don't know what they replaced than why would you o.k. the work?

It should still be possible to get the wheel close to straight even with the loose gear box. It may not be perfect but it should be pretty close.

Add your comment to this topic!