Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Main Seal Problems?

venturenot
10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
History
This is Dejevu. Two years ago I puchased this 1998 Venture van and the mechanic had just put in a "new" engine. After driving it about a 200 miles I noticed an oil leak which turned out to be the rear main seal. After much aggrevation and cost to my wallet it was finally fixed. Two years and 60,000 miles later the engine died and I had it replaced.

NOW
My rear main seal on my new remanned engine started to leak after I had put about 1000 miles on the car. The engine was installed in SC and I noticed the leak while I was on a trip in PA. I had several mechanics in PA look at the leak and confirm it was the rear main seal. However, after driving the van back to SC the leak stopped. I took the van to the installer in SC and he says that he cannot see any signs of a leak. Is it possible for the leak just to stop like that? It is under warranty for parts and labor for 90 days. The installer feels that the high side of the crank may caught the seal (not sure I understand what that means) and now everything is OK. Please advise

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MagicRat
10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I have never experienced anything like this, but I expect its possible.

I think the installer means that when the seal was installed, part of the lip of the seal that contacts the crankshaft was not fully seated.

It either has flipped back in place by now or simply has become worn enough to conform to the crankshaft fully.

It's tough to say if it will last as long as a properly-installed seal, without removing it and looking.... which rather defeats the purpose. :)

However, I can't imagine the engine installer will agree to fix a problem under warranty that does not exist anymore, so, imo just drive the van and don't worry about it.
Realistically, the van is probably getting a bit old by now, and the seal may well last the remaining lifetime of the van.

venturenot
10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the reply.Yes, it is very strange. It still is not leaking so I guess everything is OK. I'll just have to keep an eye out for any leaks. I have 165,000 miles on the van and add about 30,000 miles of travel per year. The transmission shifts smoothly and I would be very happy just to make to 200,000 with this seal.

wafrederick
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Another thing it could be is the o ring for the oil pump drive.The o ring dries out and gets very hard and stiff.It is a special o ring too.

venturenot
11-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I took the car to a dealership in SC for a transmission fluid change. They told me that my lower intake manifold gasket was leaking oil. They were aware that a remmaned engine was just installed and felt the gasket was either faulty or not seated properly.

I took it back to my installer and he said he could see no sign of any oil leak other than a slight leak by a valve which he tightened. I just checked and there was a drop of oil under my car. What should I do? The dealership swore that it was the LIM gasket and even put it writing in case I should have any problem. My installer says that there is no problem.

Should I get one more opinion and if they agree it is the Lower Intake just take the installer to Small claims court? I paid alot of money for this engine and I don't know why the installer is not williing to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any idea as to what to do? Is it that hard to find the source of an oil leak or is my installer just being difficult. The oil has tracer fluid in it so it should be fairly obvious correct?

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!