Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Track fail...13.8 @106.7

TorchedStealth
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I would put this in drag racing, but there is more traffic here:)

Saturday I went to the track and the conditions were less than ideal. It was 42 degrees outside and there was no traction even with the DR's on. That mixed with the fact that I had been tuning the week before in 30º temps on the 2.8 to get rid of my kr since it was so cold and since I basically have the stock catback on now (anyone who saw what happened to my last muffler know what I'm talking abouthttp://www.cobaltss.net/forums/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif) didnt allow me to get very good times. My mods ae in my sig, but at the track I was running

60's
vibrant header/dp
stock resonator to a pacesetter mufflerhttp://www.cobaltss.net/forums//images/smilies/thumbsdown.gif
3" intake
Meth, but I could only manage 20-21* of timing and less in the mid range, compared to 23* from 4-7k on my warm weather tune.
11.2 AFR (again, playing it safe in the cold)
Wot box

It was the last event of the year and I hadnt been there yet this year so I decided to go have some fun. After having horrible traction issues and blowing the tires off through 2nd I started getting some decent burnouts on my last two runs. I quit using the 2-step and just left from 1500rpms. 2nd to last run I ran a 14.1 @106.4. Then I decided to not no lift shift to 2nd, which I should have done a LONG time ago. Last run of the day I ran a 13.8 @106.69, and realized that it actually was hooking at the top of 1st so I could have layed into it a bit more. My meth wasnt even turning on and it comes on at 8psi to give you an understanding of how easy I was in 1st gear. I really wanted to make another run but they shut it down after that.

Giving the conditions I'm not too dissapointed with my times I guess, especially the traps. Next year Ill get out there when its warmer so I can run 24* at 11.8 AFR on the 2.7 and something other than the stock cat-back and shoot for low 13's at 108-109http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Here are my last 2 slips. Im car 64
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Taylor_Redlines/SA500246.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Taylor_Redlines/SA500245.jpg

mentel
10-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Your MPH indicates a lower 1/4 mile time. Good luck hitting those low 13's!

CivRacer95
10-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Bam baby!!

VR43000GT
10-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Judging by your 60' times that seems about right. Trap speed isn't bad at all though. Anything > 2.0 60' isn't going to result in a stellar run. Hell, I've seen a 2007 SRT-10 Viper run a 14.4 before do to horrific spinning so don't beat yourself up. ;)

CassiesMan
10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Did better than I did. FWD FTL. At least it looks like your car was holding up to it ok. Ah well, next time and all.

-The Stig-
10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Your MPH seems about right, that should put you in a mid to high 13 second run.

Hate to bring them up, but a stocker LS1 used to run roughly the same times as you did.

Regardless, pretty quick little car man. Keep at it!

TorchedStealth
10-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah i guess it was ok for the conditions. When I raced the LS1 i was on the 2.7" pulley, FULL exhaust, 11.7 AFR and 23* of timing across the board. At the track I was on the 2.8", stock cat-back (except muffler), 11.2 AFR and 20* of timing (21 for about 1k rpms, and 19* down low). So I was running around 275-280whp when I ran the maro, and about 260whp at the track:(

TorchedStealth
10-27-2009, 01:32 PM
To add insult to my own injury (lol just felt like saying that) I found out that one of my downpipe bolts was completely gone. So I had a HUGE exhaust leak. I was under the car yesterday and saw a bunch of black exhaust residue in the exhaust tunnel where the header meets the DP. Reached up and felt no bolt lol. Not sure if that would affect my times or not since my traps seemed ok, but its just another inconvenience.

Sleepr awd
11-02-2009, 10:59 PM
it might affect something...

That sux dude. With those trap speeds and DR's you should be about even with me in the high 12's... track here closes at 45 degrees outside, why were they letting you run?!

TorchedStealth
11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Well we had two weekends before when they were supposed to hold the event but the weather was awful, so they wanted one last event i guess. And i didnt make it to the track earlier so me and a few friends went out there.

I also found out why I am getting so much knock causing me to run low timing, besides the cold weather. My plugs were gapped at .038! I dropped them to .032 and put in my kill mode tune with ZERO knock! Im back to my winter tune now, but I wanted to see if that affected anything and under full boost it doesnt break up and get knock anymore. Yay for me lol

And Im pretty sure im purchasing a hahn 3" exhaust tomorrow so i can take off my stock catback and shitty pacesetter muffler :)

Its been a good week lol

TorchedStealth
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Not to double post, but this is what happens to stock turbo wrx's when you try to beat the saturn at the track...

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Taylor_Redlines/ej20.jpg

Ill get a pic of the psiton but he blew the absolute shit out of the ringland on piston 4! But it didnt happen until he was cruisin on the interstate the next day on the way home.

Funny thing is that I ran a 13.88 and he ran a 13.89! HAHA!!

My trap was 106 to his 96 though, and I pull him nasty from a roll. On the way down we messed around from about 80-115 (yes 80 lol) and I had about 4 cars.

He kept upping the boost slowly to beat me. Started at 17lbs and was at 19 by the end of the day, but he kept the AFRs safe and wasnt seeing any knock. But apparently a large knock event happened after seing the piston.

Best part is I told him if he cant beat me from any speed after the forged internals and bigger turbo I can kick him in the nuts!

CassiesMan
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Looks like what happened to my buddy's STI... ouchies. Of course, I've found out my bud's build, and he is a moron.

TorchedStealth
11-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Yeah this wrx was getting tired with 110k on the clock

CassiesMan
11-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah this wrx was getting tired with 110k on the clock

My buddy spent 9k to rebuild his motor, and isn't running more than 400 to all four wheels.

TorchedStealth
11-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Wow thats failur at its finest! My friend is going with forged rods and pistons and we are goin to post the exhaust side of his heads with a feeler gauge so all said and done we priced it out with new gaskets and head studs for right around $1100. Add a new clutch since we have it all apart anyways and some misc stuff including his new 1000cc injectors and it will still be under 2k. Then he is gonna buy a 20G turbo (or maybe somthing bigger) and push around 350whp hooefully. When he decides he has built up enought money he is gonna get a real big turbo and go for over 400. So for less than half the price of your friend he SHOULD be making more power, but nothing is as easy as it sounds with a subaru lol. And thats on an Ej20 campared to an Ej257.

CassiesMan
11-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Well, talking to my friend, I was like...WTF?

Forged pistons/rods, brand new block, head, all that stuff. OEM Crank, but everything else is fully built and what not...stock turbo, stock boost, pulling the catless 3inch turbo back, stock intercooler...I was like why? He just wanted to assurance it wasn't going to blow his motor again. I asked him if he planned on going bigger turbo and he said no...I was like fuck dude, just build an OEM motor and give me the car.

It isn't like he didn't have a good shop build it, I mean, we have a Cobb shop here, he just doesn't want to go all out performance wise and is looking for the non blow up again factor...sigh.

If I spent that much on my motor, I'd have the fastest Speed3 in the US.

VR43000GT
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
My buddy spent 9k to rebuild his motor, and isn't running more than 400 to all four wheels.

How did he manage that? Parts for VR4's are expensive as hell but if I put $9k into my motor I could have an easy, easy mid 11 second car. Possibly more.

TorchedStealth
11-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Damn your friend is not the smartest to keep it friendly. Now that his motor can withstand a bomb going off he keeps the stock turbo...fail!

CassiesMan
11-04-2009, 09:28 PM
How did he manage that? Parts for VR4's are expensive as hell but if I put $9k into my motor I could have an easy, easy mid 11 second car. Possibly more.

Parts plus labor, as I am to understand.

Damn your friend is not the smartest to keep it friendly. Now that his motor can withstand a bomb going off he keeps the stock turbo...fail!

Oh I've said far, far worse about him, lol. I told him it was stupid to do all that work, he should have just gotten a stock block+parts.

TorchedStealth
11-04-2009, 10:45 PM
What setup was he running when he blew it? Was he the one you mentioned in sleepr's thread that was on meth?

CassiesMan
11-04-2009, 11:32 PM
What setup was he running when he blew it? Was he the one you mentioned in sleepr's thread that was on meth?

Obnoxiously loud three inch catless turbo back, meth, custom AWD Tune, full Samco piping, running like 24 pounds I think. K&N drop in, but I think the rest was stock.

Add your comment to this topic!