Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 ss nightmare

glk2310
10-18-2009, 08:04 PM
daughter went to school last week,when she got out car would crank but not start .After waiting twenty minutes car started fine , ran for a few minutes then died would not restart(cranked fine wouldnt catch)Replaced fuel regulator ,fuel filter and pump as pressure test was low and car has 157K on it.Started fine after a few minutes erratic idle sputtered and died.After testing ignition mod I replaced it.Coil packs tested fine but mod not always pulsing steady also was told crank sensor known to go bad so replaced that also.Car now starts idles smoothly until temp guage hits about 170 then surges /sputters and finally dies.Car won't restart until it cools down then we go thru the same dance again.Cleaned throttle body iac sensor,maf sensor same thing.Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.The coolant is disgusting and will be changed but I never heard of old/dirty coolant causing these symptoms.Also even more frustrating is the fact that no OBD codes are being thrown , no check engine lite either. Thanks in advance for any help

JG11529
10-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi, sounds like we have the same problem. Have you tried to disconnect the MAF after the car turns off? I did and my car turns back on but if I re-connect the wires and wait about 10 seconds it turn off. I decided on getting a new MAF senser and I hope thats does it. I'll will keep you posted if that works.

glk2310
10-19-2009, 05:24 PM
thanks for the info I'll give it a try

JG11529
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Yup that did it! It was the MAF sensor, I replaced it and now my car is back on the road. What had me confused was that I was getting two codes, one for the ERG and the other for MAF. Did'nt know what to put my money on, cause their both expensive.

Add your comment to this topic!