Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no clue where to ask, so ill ask here

1972chevy
10-18-2009, 06:31 PM
since this pertains to some classic cars, i wanna ask:

just how loud are open headers?

i have heard cherry bombs, which are supposed to be 1 level under open headers, but they didn't seem that loud or i really cant remember. but if someone could make a comparison or something id appreciate it

RaeRae1
10-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Open headers are VERY loud. I would say having a cherry bomb on probably reduces the volume by at least 1/4 if not 1/2. Open headers are sometimes difficult to even endure for any length of time without ear protection. At least in my experience.

59finnedwarrior
10-30-2009, 02:59 AM
this one was like being right next to an explosion.
http://www.mystarcollectorcar.com/2-features/stories/268-scary-rides-cobra-the-seven-second-quarter-mile-street-legal-machine.html

MagicRat
10-30-2009, 05:31 AM
since this pertains to some classic cars, i wanna ask:

just how loud are open headers?

i have heard cherry bombs, which are supposed to be 1 level under open headers, but they didn't seem that loud or i really cant remember. but if someone could make a comparison or something id appreciate it

Some of this depends on the engine. Overhead valve engines are REALLY loud with open headers..... utterly, unusably loud.

Now, by 'cherry-bomb' mufflers, do you mean glass-pack mufflers?
These are too loud on OHV engines, imo..... and, with use, they get louder as the fiberglass sound absorption material wears out or deteriorates, within a few thousand miles.
Glass-pack mufflers were originally intended for use with side-valve engines, like the flathead Ford V8. Sidevalve engines run considerably quieter than OHV's.... so glasspacks on a sidevalve engine are still loud, but much more tolerable.

Add your comment to this topic!