Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel shutoff emergancy? 02 liberty?

bratt
10-17-2009, 01:23 PM
does the 02 have some sort of fuel shutoff
our liberty wont start after a fender bender here

there is no fuel pressure and the fuel pump does not turn on after fender bender

Airjer_
10-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Nope. What fender?

bratt
10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
smashed the bumper off and hood bent, motor looks fine but wont start
When the key it turned the starter turns the motor

I checked for fuel pressure and there is none. the pump is not being turned on. I guess it was shutoff by a crash sensor

is the check engine light supposed to come on for a moment when you put Key on?

Airjer_
10-17-2009, 08:59 PM
The fuel pump has a fuse and a relay. The relay gets energized by the auto shutdown relay. If parts are missing than a close look for broken connectors/wiring would be a good start. I had a neon the other week that you really couldn't see any front end damage but things where pushed around enough to break off one of the bulk connectors to the PCM.

bratt
10-17-2009, 09:05 PM
hi Airjer,

so where are these relays? under the hood?
which relay are they? what position / row is it at?

there is no fuel pressure when I try to start, I know something has disabled the fuel pump

Airjer_
10-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Have an owners manual?

There should a power distribution center under the hood.

bratt
10-17-2009, 10:18 PM
yes, i see the relay fuse box

but I dont know which relay is which
I think they all work. The wiring is all there and has not been cut
none of the relays are broken

Airjer_
10-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Aren't they labeled on the inside of the cover?

You might want to bring it in and have it diagnosed.

rhandwor
10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Look for a push button reset they hide them along side fenders behind a brace. If you push the reset button it should start if you had a minor fender bender.
The location is always located in the owners manual. You can look in a Chilton's or Haynes manual.

Airjer_
10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Look for a push button reset they hide them along side fenders behind a brace. If you push the reset button it should start if you had a minor fender bender.
The location is always located in the owners manual. You can look in a Chilton's or Haynes manual.

If it where a ford you would eventually find one somewhere. Chrysler/Jeep you can look all you want, You won't find one. In fact I think ford is the only manufacturer that uses a resettable fuel cut off switch.

rhandwor
10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I did search and the 2006 and 2007 Jeep Liberty web site lists an emergency fuel shut on the Jeep web site. I also found a Jeep technician who said you need a DRB3 scan tool to access this devise. I assume the latest OTC Genius scan tool would do this. A lot of independent shops use these. Some shops use Snap On scanners.

Add your comment to this topic!