Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

radiator and coolant question

passatik01_5
10-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I have a 2001 passat GLS, the later model. It's a 1.8T with a manual trans and 90k miles. I have a huge coolant leak from the bottom left corner of the radiator. I can't see the exact location of the leak unless I take the bumper off. The leak has always been very small for about 4 years and got really bad about 2 weeks after I recently had the dealer do a complete timing belt job...tensioner, belts and water pump. The dealer wants $1100 to replace the radiator, thermostat and upper and lower hoses. I'm not paying that. Are there radiators out there made out of different materials and if so does it matter? The repair manual calls for phosphate free G012 pink coolant after year 96. The green ethylene glycol or ethyl glycol based coolant should not be mixed with the pink G012. Can I use either type as long as I don't mix the two? What confuses me is the fact that the pink G012 coolant I bought from the dealer in the past does contain ethyl glycol and it does not say anywhere on the bottle that it's phosphate free. The dealer did not know what to say about that when I asked. I've also read that the phosphate free coolant is geared more for the european market to counteract the effects of their very hard water. What do you guys think about Pentosin pink G012 coolant which I found online for about $11/1.5L bottle?

Can you guys please give me pointers on how to do this radiator job right, if I need any special tools and what coolant to use.

thanks

Franco2112
10-16-2009, 01:31 PM
The radiator is nothing more different than most. As for the coolant, go back with the pink OEM VW recommended coolant. It is considered a lifetime coolant and better than most. Also, you don't want to mix any green with pink coolant. It will gunk up and ruin your head gaskets as well as your engine. For a few extra dollars it's well worth getting your OEM parts from VW. Since you're going to do the work, your saving money and getting the best. IMO
Franco

veedubmechanic
10-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Use the pink VW coolant. It is silicone based not not ethelyne based like the green stuff. They dont mix well, and when you do it ALWAYS gunks and cloggs the heater core because of the poor vw design where they put the heater core and hoses going to it.

The radiator job is very easy. The hardest part is getting the hoses disconnected from the radiator because they get siezed on after many miles.

passatik01_5
11-14-2009, 08:26 AM
thanks guys

Silverstone-Cold
02-05-2010, 03:11 AM
There is also the universal orange coolant that is like the pink but more available in stores. Some people prefer it in case you have a coolant leak on the road somewhere, it can be hard to find a VW dealer at 9 oclock at night but Walmart is always open. :wink: Auto zone too.

I myself use the pink stuff but I'm daring that way. :icon16:

I also don't take many long trips.

Oh, as for the hard water - I think you should be using distilled.

Add your comment to this topic!