Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whining noise in 2000 Chevy Venture

Rodney34
10-14-2009, 05:40 PM
My Chevy Venture makes a whining noise once it gets to 70 mph. If you let off the accelerator it stops, you get back into it and it starts again. Driving around town it makes no noise. Its shifts into all gears just fine. Any ideas on what it could be?

jd-autotech
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
axle seal ? i know trail blazers were doing that and thats why. soak em down and drive it and see if noise goes away use silcone spray to soakem down

10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
check what your operators manual says about the roof rack cross bars as to there placement in relation to wind wind noise at highway speeds. i think there is a forward or aft movement to remove the wind noise. or you may have a drive line noise.

roadrunner2
10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
It must be a drive line issue as you say the whine is there while you are supplying power but not when you release the throttle.

To me that sounds like a worn component related to torque.

10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
we need more input from rodney 34 to help him out.

Rodney34
10-17-2009, 10:42 AM
OK, I had in the shop yesterday and they really didn't figure anything out. It would not do it all the time. They are speculating that it could be the torque converter. It doesn't shift hard or nothing seems to be wrong with the transmission. Can the torque converter whine like that with no other symptoms being wrong with the transmission.

They are going to go ahead and change the fluid and add some additive to it and see what that does.

What other info do you guys need to know?

Add your comment to this topic!